Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Re: Garmin Inreach

The Mini is awesome! get it. I've used it on several multi day trips up to 2 weeks. Battery life is good. I always take a solar charger too. Charges my phone several times without putting it on the sun. The combo of Mini, cell phone and solar charger is the business.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    off the beaten path comment was referring to the phone and their durability and reliability or lack there of.

you aren’t going to drop and smash your garmin. Or get it wet and ruin it, the batteries don’t die insanely fast when “roaming” and fare much better in the cold. As said, if you are off the beaten path you likely shouldn’t be trusting a smart phone or an app for your safety. Nothing beats a compass and map but a purpose made gps unit is worlds better and safer than using a phone. Just because it works doesn’t make it the best idea.

Great for for casual hunters ofc.
    Interesting. I didn't know hiking into the mountains for days on end chasing mule deer with my phone as a GPS made me a casual hunter. That's good to know. I'll be sure to update my resume. Thanks tips...

66i is wicked
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Cabelas had the Inreach Mini on sale right now for $369 plus one month free rebate.

Have the in reach but you're better off with a sat phone. Can't stand texting and when shit hits the fan it's nice to have a voice conversation.

Alright, ended up grabbing the mini. It worked very well paired to the phone, vastly preferred the phone app interface over that of the standalone unit. One thing I learned: if left active indoors, battery life is abysmal, about 8 hours. With a clear view of the sky, a 12 hour hunt day only knocked it down to 87%. Probably known to most of you GPS users but it was new to me. Also, I found the maps on Earthmate fairly limited compared to the paper backroad mapbook I was cross referencing with. Any tips on getting more accurate/up to date maps on the phone? Being able to definitively know the MU and identify crown land would be amazing, if such a system exists.

watching with interest
    also looking for best maps to download in Earthmate and how its done for out-of-service use
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

As I said earlier. The Earthmate app is hurting when it comes to maps. I find using my phone with Gaia GPS with BRMB is excellent for navigation. I use the Mini for backup nav and the messaging. The Mini on it's own should not be considered a GPS for backcountry navigation. The maps are too primitive.

As for battery I turn it on at intervals when I want to check in or double check where I am at. Lasted me 4 days recently using it here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Have the in reach but you're better off with a sat phone. Can't stand texting and when shit hits the fan it's nice to have a voice conversation.
    In theory, I'd agree, but I've seen enough dropped calls and 20 minutes out of an hour actual service to not have much faith in a sat phone.
    At least with an Inreach it keeps launching your text at the satellite until it goes through. Having your gps coordinates attached to your text is another advantage over a sat phone. Size, weight and battery life make an Inreach a no brainer, unless we're talking about a base camp setting. Regardless, I'd still want an Inreach for backup.

i carry the inreach..i even text myself when j find a pocket