Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Re: Garmin Inreach

Just a heads up, down load the Garmin connect app onto phone or Garmin express onto computer and check for updates for the Inreach. Should do this before each trip, and also send test message to those you keep in contact with. Had a little glitch with this on a Sheep hunt Oct.10-15, would have saved me a bit of grief once I got home. This was the only small issue( not getting a response to a message I sent, even though they sent a response), in the 2 years I've had one.
    Last edited by wsquared; 10-25-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    As I said earlier. The Earthmate app is hurting when it comes to maps. I find using my phone with Gaia GPS with BRMB is excellent for navigation. I use the Mini for backup nav and the messaging. The Mini on it's own should not be considered a GPS for backcountry navigation. The maps are too primitive.

As for battery I turn it on at intervals when I want to check in or double check where I am at. Lasted me 4 days recently using it here and there.
    Whitlers, just so I’m clear: are you using Gaia GPS with a digital BRMB branded map downloaded onto it, or are you using Gaia GPS with default maps and comparing your location to a physical (paper) BRMB? If it’s the former, is that something that’s available with the regular or premium subscription? Premium is $50 per year which seems pretty steep considering they specify US-only huntimmaps, property boundaries etc. Getting that kind of data for BC would be the holy grail.

Quote Originally Posted by Knobbies View Post
    Whitlers, just so I’m clear: are you using Gaia GPS with a digital BRMB branded map downloaded onto it, or are you using Gaia GPS with default maps and comparing your location to a physical (paper) BRMB? If it’s the former, is that something that’s available with the regular or premium subscription? Premium is $50 per year which seems pretty steep considering they specify US-only huntimmaps, property boundaries etc. Getting that kind of data for BC would be the holy grail.
    Gaia with a digital download of BRMB. I think it cost me $35/yr I'll have to look into it. Works great and is very accurate.

I've been an InReach user since they first came out. I've upgraded a couple times and have one of the newer models now but I don't recall the model. One thing I would be wary about with the mini is I've always had some difficulty, through each model I've owned, with messages that will come in to the unit but won't make it all the way onto my phone.

I've wasted enough ours with InReach tech support over the years that I haven't bothered trying to troubleshoot the problem, I just read my incoming messages on the unit and send messages from my phone. That wouldn't be possible with the mini.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

FYI, the mini is currently on sale at Cabelas.ca for $369.99

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11256...e-communicator