Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Inreach

Garmin Inreach

I’m looking into getting a satellite messenger + GPS. Does anyone have any experience with the Inreach Mini and/or Inreach Explorer? I’m curious to know how navigation on the Mini, paired to a phone, compares to that of the Explorer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin Inreach

I have the mini. I use the Gaia App on my phone for GPS and use the Garmin Earthmate app as a backup. I dont know much about the explorer but there is a new one out that you can get BRMB for .

Currently run the garmin 66I, wouldn’t change it now. 2in1 is way handier and I don’t find phones and apps to be reliable once you get off the beaten trail currently. If you’re going to road hunt and camp at rec sites it should be sufficients..

The explorer works great. No experience with the mini but I know that when pairing the explorer to the Earthmate app it works excellent as well. I’m sure the mini paired to your phone would do just as well. Being off the beaten path has nothing to do with reliability as they are connected via Bluetooth-you don’t require service. No need to really step up to the 66I unless you require BRMB for road hunting purposes.
    Last edited by Wentrot; 10-01-2019 at 05:46 AM.

I use inreach mini , but not for its gps purposes. It has great maps when sync to iPhone , but I prefer to have a second gps that takes regular batteries for long trips. It also doubles as backup.

I have the explorer, and I appreciate the ability to use the device stand-alone without the need for my phone - both because it’s a bit more convenient, and because I’m not relying on two things both having a battery charge. Using the explorer through my phone is identical to using the mini with the phone, and I have no complaints about that, but the little bit of extra cost for the stand-alone capability was worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    The explorer works great. No experience with the mini but I know that when pairing the explorer to the Earthmate app it works excellent as well. I’m sure the mini paired to your phone would do just as well. Being off the beaten path has nothing to do with reliability as they are connected via Bluetooth-you don’t require service. No need to really step up to the 66I unless you require BRMB for road hunting purposes.
    off the beaten path comment was referring to the phone and their durability and reliability or lack there of.

you aren’t going to drop and smash your garmin. Or get it wet and ruin it, the batteries don’t die insanely fast when “roaming” and fare much better in the cold. As said, if you are off the beaten path you likely shouldn’t be trusting a smart phone or an app for your safety. Nothing beats a compass and map but a purpose made gps unit is worlds better and safer than using a phone. Just because it works doesn’t make it the best idea.

Great for for casual hunters ofc.

I want a 66i - but that's a lotta scratch...

Maybe Santa will bring me one.

I’ve been hunting off the beaten path using a GAIA basic $20 app package I got back in 2015. Still haven’t broken an iPhone but have had 5 Garmin GPS failures prior to switching to the app. And I carry the phone everyday vs the GPSs that were only used 20% of the days or whatever. I find the phone 10x easier to use than a GPS and the aerials/map layers are superior.

I do agree you need to keep the phone warm and have a way to charge it. My shirt pocket suffices
    for the warmth and charging is a small $19 Walmart charge pack if going backpacking. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys! I’m a minimalist so I’m going to give the Mini + phone a shot.