Thread: Wolves in cherryville

Wolves in cherryville

Was talking with the uncle this evening and he said wolves have moved into the valley out there. I was planning for the wt dopener with my two jr hunters but he said the deer population has really declined. A few years ago he had 10-20 deer on his land daily and now he said it’s like 10 a week.

just an fyi for anyone heading that way.

We’re still heading up to break bread with them and I was thinking of coming down the kettle and crossing back toward k town. Anyone know the best fsr to make the treck back west toward Kelowna? Not to interested in going too far off road with my 3 and 5 year old in the back but I figured around big white somewhere.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves in cherryville

We hunted in Cherryville back in November of 2010 and I rattled in a nice buck. We drove around some roads up high to the SE and there were lots of wolf tracks on the roads up there. Saw some nice bucks there, the locals weren't too friendly to hunters I do recall!!

Spent one day in the kettle while traveling through 2 weeks ago. Saw some whitetails and called in some wolves. Heard and or saw wolves on almost every mountain we hunted through the WK. Even managed to shoot a few of them.

Wolves have been here for years taken a couple this year saw another down the kettle last weekend. Every year me or my friends run into some and they get shot. Deer pops are down in most areas you definetly dont see the deer in the fields and surrounding areas like you use to ... I personally think they need to shut the doe season down and any buck mule deer if we want to have a healthy deer population in the years to come ... you can get straight through the kettle to the Christian and out the other end to highway 33 west bridge. Good luck out there

Spoke with another guy this morning and he said he was hunting the exact area back early sept and he said it was garbage. Wolf sign all over and few deer.... hmm might be time for plan b or c

I've hunted Cherryville for about 1.5 years now. I've consistently found both wolves and WT.

I'd make the trip, you'll find deer.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

There really isnt much of a plan B to be had! Predators are on a high cycle and ungulates are on a low cycle because of this. I imagine when the predators eat all the ungulates they will die off and the ungulates can recover! Who know how long this will take? 10, 20, 50 years?

I had the spring grizzly draw in that area last time it existed-LOTS of fresh wolf sign everywhere we went. Also saw deer everyday, albeit springtime, and we walked up on a cougar stalking some whitetail. It’s a nice area,go for it!

Wolves aren’t anything new to the area. No shortage of whitetail around. Go hunting.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."