Thread: Elk hunting sucks

Elk hunting sucks

Life has been a little challenging for me the last couple months. My hunting season has not gone according to plan and keeping my head in the game has been a bit of a challenge. So Saturday morning I decided to take my dog for a walk and look for some grouse. I figured it would be nice to not take things so seriously for a bit. We get up behind my place and we are met by my neighbors horses.
    I started petting one of them on the nose and my dog started getting a little jealous and started to whine for my attention which I devided between the two of them but every time I pet the horse my dog whines. After a few minutes the dog and I started up the trail when all of the sudden a massive 6x6 bull comes charging into the meadow. Apparently my dogs whimpering is a great cow call! The real sad thing is i only had my 22 with me. It would have only been a 40 yd shot had i had my rifle.
    The bull released its mistake did a 180 and that was the last i saw of him despite my best efforts that afternoon and all Sunday. Elk suck!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk hunting sucks

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Life has been a little challenging for me the last couple months. My hunting season has not gone according to plan and keeping my head in the game has been a bit of a challenge. So Saturday morning I decided to take my dog for a walk and look for some grouse. I figured it would be nice to not take things so seriously for a bit. We get up behind my place and we are met by my neighbors horses.
    I started petting one of them on the nose and my dog started getting a little jealous and started to whine for my attention which I devided between the two of them but every time I pet the horse my dog whines. After a few minutes the dog and I started up the trail when all of the sudden a massive 6x6 bull comes charging into the meadow. Apparently my dogs whimpering is a great cow call! The real sad thing is i only had my 22 with me. It would have only been a 40 yd shot had i had my rifle.
    The bull released its mistake did a 180 and that was the last i saw of him despite my best efforts that afternoon and all Sunday. Elk suck!
    On the bright side, you now know there’s one around. Stay on it and it’ll happen.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Murpy's law!!! At least you're able to hunt out your back door! I have to drive for 20 min and I realize how awesome that might sound to some of the Lower Painlanders.

And that is why you should always be prepared lol

I have learned this the hard way. Big buck well bird hunting with only bird shot, another buck only a 22, and 3 times with elk no tag because I never seen them in that MU. I actually did the no tag thing and crossing paths with a bull elk last week. Yes I am a slow learner that should take my own advice