Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Black Bear

2nd Black Bear

Hi Gang, Saturday evening happened to turn into a successful hunt however glim our odds looked initially. My son had a function with his football team in the area of our favourite black bear honey hole. We decided to squeeze in an evening hunt after his commitments so we headed up to the mountain prepared to hunt afterwards. Needless to say his event ran long which only left us with about an hour. We changed our usual routine due to the time constraint. Normally we park the truck and unload the quad to get around the back country without beating up my truck, but this time decided to drive the pick up with quad trailer in tow right to the clear cut we were targeting and walk through the area. We were 1 minute into our walk and I noted the wind and mentioned to my son that it happened to be in our favour. Less than 5 minutes later I spotted a bear on the side our the road we were walking. It had it's head down feeding, facing away from us. Maybe the wind happened to help but it didn't notice us behind it within 100 yards. A scan of the surrounding area proved it was alone and I placed a very effective shot that dropped it instantaneously. Down immediately without another breath.

We were lucky enough to harvest another black bear in spring. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...k-Bear-Success
    Our first bear was a boar. This second bear was a sow. A nice legal bear. I have not had the years of experience hunting bears specifically and have not honed a skill of field judging for age/sex, however, now having harvested both, I can say the differences are more prominent to me now having seen them up close. Every harvest is a learning experience and this one will be useful in the future when being selective.

It hung in the cooler over night and we dug into processing the fronts mid day Sunday.

I will take a couple roasts, straps and stew meat with the rest turned into trim for sausage. I did pepperonis and summer sausage with the spring bear. I will look for a different type of pre cooked sausage for this one. Maybe a garlic sausage. Something more along the lines of an appy sausage vs. lunch meat.

Thanks for your time,
    Montec

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: 2nd Black Bear

Very nice bear and colour, Congrats !!
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Nice work! I'm so used to only seeing black bears that are just black, that it's really cool seeing different colours.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Congrats!
    Good safety position with the open bolt action!
    Is that a .270? Looks bigger.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

back to back colour phase for you hey ?! very nice.

Very nice bear, and good size for a sow, congrats..how much it weigh approximately?

Nice bear congrats!!

Looks like a nice one! Congrats on your success!

Congrats! Looks beautiful, probably taste even better!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Mmmm garlic sausage. your making me hungry. Congrats to the both of you. Very nice bear!!!