Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boundary bay access?

Re: Boundary bay access?

There will always be those guys ,on a good SE blow you can go out on a low water as the birds will be right on the deck coming off the beach heading out,just have to be sure on your distance..

A big THANKS to all who contributed to this thread!

Can someone tell me if I'm allowed to tow a trailer on my eBike to some of the hunting areas by the Bay?
    I was thinking it would be easier to bring all the decoys on the trailer than hiking them all in by myself, or maybe it's just a short walk and the bike is not necessary, I've got a fat tire bike so the sand and rocks are no issue.

I just borrowed a bunch of decoys / mojo from my work buddy Nathan who is pictured in the Widgeon thread, I've been hunting for 6 yrs but this will be my first attempt at waterfowl!

Never realized duck calling was so technical, it will probably take years to master. Easier to learn the French Horn while playing the drums.

What's Bounday Bay looking like these days?

I went out there one frozen week some years ago looking for open water and it was a sheet of ice. Looked like the arctic.

All that fresh water on the surface from the streams flowing in freezes solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurp99 View Post
    A big THANKS to all who contributed to this thread!

Can someone tell me if I'm allowed to tow a trailer on my eBike to some of the hunting areas by the Bay?
    I was thinking it would be easier to bring all the decoys on the trailer than hiking them all in by myself, or maybe it's just a short walk and the bike is not necessary, I've got a fat tire bike so the sand and rocks are no issue.

I just borrowed a bunch of decoys / mojo from my work buddy Nathan who is pictured in the Widgeon thread, I've been hunting for 6 yrs but this will be my first attempt at waterfowl!

Never realized duck calling was so technical, it will probably take years to master. Easier to learn the French Horn while playing the drums.
    Im not sure about the E bike on the dyke, but make sure you have some good weights on the deeks, if they are floaters. I find they tend to move around when the tides changing and it annoying. And the biggest thing is concealment !! They will spot you a mile away. Also keep your trigger lock on till you get to your spot the CO’s and cop’s do come around .
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Im not sure about the E bike on the dyke, but make sure you have some good weights on the deeks, if they are floaters. I find they tend to move around when the tides changing and it annoying. And the biggest thing is concealment !! They will spot you a mile away. Also keep your trigger lock on till you get to your spot the CO’s and cop’s do come around .
    Thanks, I went scouting yesterday and walked the dyke trail from 72nd to 64th st. there were a few hunters out by the edge of the Bay, water was partially frozen by the dyke and the smaller ponds frozen as well. I spotted the hunters from several hundred meters away, I don't think they were concealed much on the shoreline as there's not much to hide behind. I won't need the eBike as everything is flat and accessible.

On falling tides, try a layout blind. I use one on the Island and they can be deadly on the tidal flats where there is little to no cover

Trigger lock for what reason?
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    Trigger lock for what reason
    Ive been down a few times this year and haven't seen a co or cop yet, the first time i went i carried my gun out in a case, now i just uncase it at the truck and sling it over my shoulder, i just keep to myself and so does everyone else, i usually bring some blind material and some decoys so a gun case is just something else to carry.

Just to clarify you do not need a trigger lock for non-restricted. It just needs to be unloaded (no ammo IN the gun) while being transported. COs checked me opening day and I had a shell in a Matchsaver and they didn't even blink. I do think it is good practice to unload as soon as you are out of legal shooting area for safety and so you are not tempted to take a shot in a grey area.

RonC good tip on layout blind. I found Boundary to be very flat with not much cover especially now (which is why I stick to Brunswick) but if I had a layout blind I would go back to Boundary and give it a try. Also I just have floaters so not sure what i can do deke whys unless I grind them into the sand?

On being checked by law enforcement, early last month on Brunswick I was even checked by Federal Wildlife Officers who walked right out into the swamp. The first time I've ever seen the boys in green. They were very friendly and checked EVERYTHING down to taking my factory shells and putting them in a metal content detector device. Also the one who checked me needed a bit more experience on guns as he tried to tell me I was over the limit in shell capacity when he shoved his tube checker INTO THE BARREL. I held back my criticism when he realized what he had done.

When I was checked on opening day it was a lady CO who had two TFN game wardens with her helping check.

Previously, in four years I had never seen any COs of any sort.

I am finding the ducks this time of year are very shy of mojos. In my observation neither myself, nor my friends nor any of the neighbouring hunters with spinners the past three weeks have drawn them in until we took down the mojos. Whereas I've had success with just floating dekes, especially in wind with movement. Just my observation.

I've never had any guff from anyone on the dykes. More often than not I get friendly nods or even people asking if I had had success. One time on Boundary a lady couldn't stand the sight of me carrying out my only two fat honkers I ever got. She walked past me and shielded her eyes with her hand so she didn't see me. Fair enough. One fellow on Reddit said at Boundary a lady tried to shame him on hunting and he shut her up by asking if she got her meat at the grocery store.
    Last edited by silveragent; 12-03-2019 at 09:17 AM.