Thread: Black bear in the fall slash winter.

Black bear in the fall slash winter.

I’ve been after this dang bear for the past three weekends up in lillooet. I know the trail he uses and there is always fresh scat everyday. He switches up the times he appears but I’m either always up high while he’s down low or vice versa. Then I lose him. I’m up here now in lillooet and it’s had a cold snap and snow on the hills. I’m up before dawn and I stay out till dusk.

So so I guess my question is can someone do a prayer and get the stars aligned so I can connect with this bear hahaha. Seriously though , with snow on the ground , does this change a bears behaviour? Some days I don’t see him and other times I can spot him midday or 4pm or right before dusk.

Do bears move more when when it’s cold out or do they sit put? I’d think they would be trying to fatten up before hibernation. Do I just sit and wait and hope he comes my way while I’m waiting for him?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black bear in the fall slash winter.

No. A temporary anomaly won't change the bears habits. Only the food changing, which will be happening. It is a volatile time of year but you probably still have time from now until mid Oct. What's he eating? Rose hips? Mind the thermals and your timing. Are they still blowing down an hour or so after first light? Its that time of year they can still blow up or swirl and hour after dark, but then blow down a couple hours after light before they swirl and switch. I'd come from below in the AM. Good luck, Godspeed, hail Mary, #holdmybeer, etc.

Disclaimer: I am the worlds ****iest hunter ever, can't find a buck to save my life and grouse outwit me on a regular basis.

I see bear tracks in the snow all the time, go for it.

Thanks for the help guys. Couldn’t make it happen this weekend back home now. Ended up seeing two cubs both by themselves so I waited and no mom to be seen. If that’s the case hope they make it through the winter. Saw a couple first year bucks. And luck would have it driving home this afternoon on the Duffy around 4:30 was this gorgeous cinnamon bear cruising the highway edge. Of course I see when when heading home lol

In the last two days I've seen three bears, one down in a valley and two up around 1000m. All three were planted firmly in huge patches of rosehips. One of which was within a lightly snowed area.

Seems to me that early snows/cold snaps doesn't change a thing for bears.