Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite?

Re: Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite?

I have a lot of Sitka and First Lite. I wear both, prefer FL Merino for most situations
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I am an active hunter. Up the mtn, down the mtn.

My opinion:
    - First Lite is nice for base layer but I much prefer my Sitka Core Lightweight hoody for early season.
    - I just sweat way too much in the First lite wick and wilkin.
    - Last year I used the wilkin long sleeve as a standalone layer and I sweater a lot. I was super comfortable and heat was regulated quite well but I sweated hard.
    - This past archery season I was way more comfortable.
    - I had a kuiu guide jacket but it was too warm and I sold it.
    - this year I have a kuiu kutana and it has been amazing. I'll wear my wick short sleeve or my wilkin long sleeve underneath depending on temp
    - in short, I really don't need my first lite wilkin. I like putting my wick short sleeve over my Sitka Core L/W hoodie when it's a bit cool in the morning
    - for pants. Prana zions are great when it is hot and dry. After some abuse the DWR wears off and if it is wet the pants soak through right away.
    - bought some timberline pants and there wet performance isn't great either but I really like them!
    - have a pair of kuiu talus hybrid pants and they have been awesome in wet undergrowth or slight drizzle. Can almost go without the timberlines.

as you can see, I'm fortunate to have the cash to mess with my system. It's absolutely ridiculous the cost of this stuff but I have been so comfortable is some pretty shit weather this year.

If you have any question, PM me.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Was looking at kuiu the other day...until I seen the tag.made in CHINA....no thanks.
    Guess where the other two are made?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Guess where the other two are made?
    For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.
    Made right here in BC...
    Kuiu was originally an American made product from what I understand, to bad they went overseas with production....
    I would much sooner support a Canadian company that produces its product locally and prices in Canadian dollars if at all possible!
    YMMV

Please vote Trudeau out next month!

Kuiu was originally sewn in Vancouver ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.
    Made right here in BC...
    Kuiu was originally an American made product from what I understand, to bad they went overseas with production....
    I would much sooner support a Canadian company that produces its product locally and prices in Canadian dollars if at all possible!
    YMMV

Please vote Trudeau out next month!
    +1. For most situations, comparable outerwear from a reputable outdoor clothing company will do just fine. Don't kid yourself, there are no wonder materials that the hunting-specific companies are using... they're adopting DWR & waterproof tech from the big-guys and getting the fabrics printed in camo. If a better technology comes along, you can bet it will make it's way to the mainstream brands first... the market is just way larger.

I think it's pretty tough to beat the value of Taiga's Torrent jacket, unless you're shopping sales. I picked up a nice light-weight mountain hardware goretex jacket in olive green for $125 with the BCWF discount code at Atmosphere this summer. Like the FL Guide pants? Check out Prana Stretch Zion's for $90 CAD shipped. Want something lighter, check out Columbia Silver Ridge Stretch pants for $70.

I’m starting to agree with the “camo is a scam” crowd. There are tons of hiking clothing companies out there that make garments that have taken people to the top of Everest that aren’t patchy green, or digital-cam that cost less and perform better. Moreover, I’ve taken animals wearing jeans and plaid.....I like to look the part as much or more than the next guy...but screw the mark up.....when I’m in the woods, I hope I’m not around anyone who will judge me for what I’m wearing anyway. Buy what keeps you comfortable regardless the brand or pattern.

I say this now, but when I leave the house tomorrow morning, I’ll probably have my very best mossy oak pattern on.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Nothing wrong with supporting companies that vocally and financially support hunting in North America!
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

How are the Taiga/Gotex clothing products now ? I also have a very old Taiga Gortex long length jacket that does not keep the rain out now. The Gortex membrane is all cracked wher it is bonded to the jacket fabric.

[QUOTE=hawk-i;2119596]For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.
    Made right here in BC...
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 09-27-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I’ve had good luck with my First Lite gear. If you have any questions about specific pieces, send me a PM. I have been able to try or use the majority of their stuff. Merino vs synthetic is a very personal decision. I’m a big merino fan. After a week hunt, I am not repulsed by my own smell. Huge fan of their down pieces, and as mentioned the rain gear. The guys I hunted with last trip are selling their other brands and switching over to FL.

I have not personally run into any issues with getting gear across the border, but I also travel to the states somewhat frequently so can bring some back with me. For me after duty and taxes it is a more affordable option to Sitka.