Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite?

Re: Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite?

Speaking rain gear only.... Between myself and my hunting partners we own a good mixture of the three brands. Not a single person has had luck staying dry in Sitka. Maybe just bad luck but I’m just speaking from our experiences. I currently use the Kuiu Yukon jacket and Chugach pant and have remained dry even in island rain. I also have the FL Storm lite jacket and that has been great as well although it’s just the light weight shell. None of it is cheap so be prepared to buy once, cry once as the saying goes.

A quick Kuiu warranty story. I bought the Yukon jacket 6 years ago and after 4 years the main zipper crapped out 9 days before I was going on a mule deer trip. I called Kuiu, explained the situation and they shipped a brand new jacket to me immediately with the understanding that I’d ship my warranty jacket back using there prepaid shipping label ASAP. I received the new jacket in time to take on my trip and all was good. I thought that was good of them.

Good luck.

Another option is Taiga for wet weather gear...made in Vancouver. No Camo but they do offer a variety of colours. Designed for extreme wet weather

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Another option is Taiga for wet weather gear...made in Vancouver. No Camo but they do offer a variety of colours. Designed for extreme wet weather

my buddy still has a Taiga jacket and pant he bought when we were 18..... 27 years ago.... he is a moderate user, not a true battle tester but wow.... 27 years...
    I just bough Kuiu Yukon. The online size chart and order system was great and it landed fast.. 5 days fast. we also bought my wife Sitka Downpour. I could argue each one back and forth as far as material and layout... but I have no in use experience yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Speaking rain gear only.... Between myself and my hunting partners we own a good mixture of the three brands. Not a single person has had luck staying dry in Sitka. Maybe just bad luck but I’m just speaking from our experiences.

Good luck.
    Does this statement refer to Sitka's Downpour pants and jacket or one of their other models that are rain resistant? I hope not because I just purchased the Downpour set. Got what I consider a great price off ebay.

Blue jeans & wool......wildlife is scared shitless when camouflaged plastic is seen sneaking thru the brush.
    You can always dry out in the evening with a hot rum in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Blue jeans & wool......wildlife is scared shitless when camouflaged plastic is seen sneaking thru the brush.
    You can always dry out in the evening with a hot rum in your hand.

Nothing worse than hiking in rough terrain in friggin blue jeans. Been there done that lol

I've owned lot's of Sitka, Kuiu and FL. Sitka was the only rain jacket that leaked as well.

I really like first light wool pants and shirts. Warm when it's cold, cool enough when it's warm, and dry pretty quickly.
    Rain gear- pioneer rubber. I have a badlands exo jacket, which is nicely waterproof....but also tore last week pushing through alders.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I've had both FL and Kuiu rain gear. FL is da bomb.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I’ve only ever used Sitka gear and I’ve been happy with it. Their warranty is great too, I had the stitching coming apart on my two old worn out pairs of 90% pants and they sent me a brand new pair or timberlines and mountain pants.
    Brian011