Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Kootenay firewood

East Kootenay firewood

I’m new to the whole wood stove/fireplace thing. The house I’m moving into has both, but I have no wood prepared for the winter, mainly due to living in an apartment right now. The place has a furnace as well, but I would like to use the wood stove in the basement when I can. What can I expect pay for delivered firewood in the elk valley? Also I don’t know much about getting my own wood, how long does it have to dry for and what not. Any advice or tips are appreciated.

just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Maybe a mod can move it for me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: East Kootenay firewood

Go onto the Elk Valley Garage sale site on Facebook and post an inquiry..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

go cut a few loads yourself?

Hi Grimey, I don’t know about elk valley but I think prices are pretty much universal in the kootenays . About 200-300/cord depending on species, split, delivery etc. Should be lots of posts on the local buy and sell. Could be some scammers too. Pay cash.

Like others have said, I definitely recommend your local buy/sell groups (especially on Facebook). That's where I see tons of ads get posted. The prices I see are like happyhunter said above, $200-300 for a cord (p/u truck load) of split wood. It also depends on the type of wood. There are some types that have a longer, hotter burn that are great specifically for wood stoves so you may find higher prices for that. I'm not sure on the types but maybe someone here can offer some more information in that regard. And for gathering your own, I would think you're too late to gather live wood to dry for the winter so I would look for dead standing trees. Look for the ones with no green, cut it down, buck it up and you're good to go. They will burn instantly but quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    Also I don’t know much about getting my own wood, how long does it have to dry for and what not. Any advice or tips are appreciated.
    Ideally you want to age firewood under cover for a year. One good hot summer can do it if you get it under cover before June or so. Some years if its a real dry one you can get lucky and get it in the summer and its pretty much good to go then if wood's been down for a while, but don't count on that. Plus in those years they'll often close the bush to chain saw use. If I was you I'd buy wood to get going and also get started putting some up this winter and it'll be GTG next fall for sure. Get a good heavy splitting maul 10 or 12 pounds. Rounds up to 16 inches usually split the easiest but big ones will too once you figure out a few tricks.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

If you cut standing dead barkless pine or larch, no need to cure.. cut it, burn it
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

^^Standing dead, barkless, previously burnt.... split it and burn it.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...rewood-permits

This will help if you want to cut your own.

Don't forget your firewood permit .. free on line .. $175.00 fine if you get caught without it