Thread: Taking heads from carrion

Taking heads from carrion

Hi everyone,

Recently, as I was hunting for black bear I came across a dead cougar from unknown causes. I have no interest in shooting cougars but have always loved bleached skulls of animals, especially predators.

I took the head from the carcass and plan on cleaning and displaying it in my home. However, I had a conversation with a fellow hunter and realized that taking the head may not be entirely kosher. I couldn't find a section in the regs on this, nor did a google search result in much info.

Did I break any rules? I feel that it is logically no different than shed hunting but others disagree with me.

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Taking heads from carrion

Grey area for sure, phone the Ministry.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

been there, done that with a 4x4 MD buck (followed ravens to a dead buck near loon lake with his eyeball shot out and full of pus....cut the head off then left it in the end) and a 4x5 elk head (took the ivory teeth and left the antlered head right where we found it-left it in a tree straight across from where the sulfur joins the bull)
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 09-23-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coastcrickets View Post
    Hi everyone,

Recently, as I was hunting for black bear I came across a dead cougar from unknown causes. I have no interest in shooting cougars but have always loved bleached skulls of animals, especially predators.

I took the head from the carcass and plan on cleaning and displaying it in my home. However, I had a conversation with a fellow hunter and realized that taking the head may not be entirely kosher. I couldn't find a section in the regs on this, nor did a google search result in much info.

Did I break any rules? I feel that it is logically no different than shed hunting but others disagree with me.

Thanks,
    Your answer is in the Wildlife Act of BC section 33.

Possession of wildlife

33 (1)
    A person commits an offence if the person has live wildlife in his or her personal possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

(2)
    A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

(3)
    Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person who possesses wildlife under a licence or permit under the Animal Health Act.

It seems like I committed an offense. However, would this mean shed hunting is technically an offense?
    To make amends I suppose I'll go buy a cougar tag and destroy it. At least my trophy will go to conservation in some way.
    Thanks for the feedback.

If your un sure on how it died you may want to be careful as well, a bio died in the states a few years back from doing a necropsy on a found dead cougar.
    Hit by a car, shot and left is one thing but if just died on its own you should be careful and may want to call it in.

Coastcricket, it's ok to pick-up the skull! All you need to do is apply for a permit to keep it! This law is to protect bighorn sheeps and all other trophies from being "found".

if you go buy a cougar tag and cut it you will be breaking another law.Note to self. Be careful when using public forums.

As said apply for a permit at the co office and own it leaglly. Also always take pictures of your find before taking it apart. You need that permit before you take the head. Shed antlers are in a different category and don't require a permit in BC

Quote Originally Posted by coastcrickets View Post
    To make amends I suppose I'll go buy a cougar tag and destroy it. At least my trophy will go to conservation in some way.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Depending on where you are there may be a compulsory inspection on cougars...as was stated this isn't a legit course of action either though.
    Last edited by 45freezer; 09-23-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear