Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouse numbers good again this year

Re: Grouse numbers good again this year

I've been seeing decent numbers my last three outings. Spent a day in Reg 2 last week, shot 3 but spooked another 4, and got another 2 in Reg 3 but and missed 2. So they're doing alright this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post

Look at the size of that grouse's heart!

I spotted one up in Princeton yesterday, he took off while I was loading my gun lol

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    How did your young lab do?

Her first bird

Very nice Ron C! How is she on the soft mouth with the bird?

Frankly, my female choco-lab has started to be a heavy handed with the teeth since she's started getting older (she's 8 now). She was great while she was young but in the last couple of bird hunts she's been less than gentle with the birds... a bit too rambunctious. I'm going to have to work on that, but I'm hesitant to put the e-collar back on her.. it's been 3 or 4 years since I've had to correct her with the e-collar and I figured I was beyond that stage with her. I love having the dog with me as to mastercaster's point they're great for fetching the bird in a precarious place or one that's fallen in to heavy bush and honestly, she's sniffed out more than her fair share of birds I didn't know were in the area and flushed them for me to shoot.

Beauty pics, mastercaster. Thanks for the thread and I agree with you, some of the most productive spots I've found grouse are spurs where no vehicle can get in to anymore... quad at best.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Region 8 is where I'm getting all my birds but I RARELY see grouse in the areas I see and shoot my deer. I will see the odd deer in my grouse spots but they would probably be unshootable ,,,,unless they were standing on the road because it's so thick and bushy. If they moved 10' off the road you wouldn't likely have an ethical shot because they'd be in the thick of things.

That's the kind of habitat that grouse like in Region 8. You don't see them along clear cuts or other open forested areas. The skinnier and less used a FSR is used the better your chance of seeing grouse is my experience.

Sure helps to have a dog that can retrieve them out of the real tough spots:

https://imgur.com/g0OQB3y
    I too am finding that that is the habitat they like...I have seen quite a few this year, but have shot zero...I am usually too lazy to bring my 22 and usually only do if I'm with my 6 year old boy...

I just spent 3 days scouting on the region 3 and region 8 “border”. I shot two ruffed, and passed on two others. The two I shot were in a group of 3, and I figured I’d let one live for next time. He’s probably in therapy now having watched his two buddies get murdered, and then dragged away by a Weimaraner.

What time of day are you guys getting most of your birds? We found most of the ones we saw in the afternoon/evening.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Region 3 guy here - had a great opening day, 3 Ruffies in the first half hour and picked up a 4th in the same spot at the end of the day. Other than that one spot though, I haven't seen a lot of birds on the old overgrown FSRs or walking through all the usual grouse spots. Where are you Reg 3 guys seeming 'em this year?

So far finding the lower elevations, within a couple hours dusk/dawn to give the most chance of seeing a Grouse; If you're willing to hike you can find them any time of day, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by imack91 View Post
    Region 3 guy here - had a great opening day, 3 Ruffies in the first half hour and picked up a 4th in the same spot at the end of the day. Other than that one spot though, I haven't seen a lot of birds on the old overgrown FSRs or walking through all the usual grouse spots. Where are you Reg 3 guys seeming 'em this year?

So far finding the lower elevations, within a couple hours dusk/dawn to give the most chance of seeing a Grouse; If you're willing to hike you can find them any time of day, I'm sure.
    seems to be a bumper year in zone 3 and 8, I am nearing my possession limit now, just need 2 more blues and a ruffie.

Way better than last year, I think the fire negatively effected them in 2018 and now they are on the rebound as everything is regenerating.

Did aee a huge uptick in predatory birds last year last year so that could explain a lot !

Counted 21 Saturday in reg 3, but they were all in one area. Went to two other areas in Reg 3 and saw none.