Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's with all the Grizzly just north of Kamloops Lately

Re: What's with all the Grizzly just north of Kamloops Lately

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    I have them on trail cam in the Sawmill/Red Lake area, so within a 45 minute drive of Kamloops, and that's taking the road which isn't a direct route as up and over the hills so as the crow flies it's probably closer. There have been reports of them up O'Connor even which is lower and south from Jamieson.
    are you the guy that popped into my camp on May long and showed me pics of a beautiful bear 500m from my camp and told me the story of the crew in the wall tent moose hunting last fall that was having problems with this bear? I keep an eye out for him now, but still no sighting...didn't get a black bear that weekend either unfortunately.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Yes, this is absolutely true. F&W talked about doing this 30 years ago. BTW I saw my first grizzly in 11 mile creek (11 miles east of Hope) in 1971. When you've been around for awhile you can see that all animal populations and location concentrations ebb and flow over time, with the most obvious influences being logging (and access) and forest fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckzilla View Post
    there is a healthy population of grizzlies in the upper lillooet watershed in Pemberton.
    60 + according to provincial biologist that studies them...
    more if you include the bears off hurley pass
    here used to be a old timers photo of a bear sitting up against a tree with the logger/hunter who shot the bear back then (early 1900's?)
    Anyways, that GBear was rumored to have been taken inside 100 miles of Vancouver, so GBears have been around many parts before
    settlers showed up.

Had a trust worthy friend say they saw a Gbear in the early 90's around Merritt.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    are you the guy that popped into my camp on May long and showed me pics of a beautiful bear 500m from my camp and told me the story of the crew in the wall tent moose hunting last fall that was having problems with this bear? I keep an eye out for him now, but still no sighting...didn't get a black bear that weekend either unfortunately.
    No, wasn't I, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I’m in Lac Le Jeune. Have scouted (and hunted) O’Connor. I don’t go there much because it’s too accessible and too damn many people. I didn’t realize they were that close.

sure could get exciting if I’m out hunting grouse with the dog and all I have with me is 20ga #6’s. 😜
    If you're in Lac Le Jeune you might be thinking of McConnell Lake? O'Connor Lake is a man made lake out of Westsyde (North end of town) and is all "private property" (grazing lease BS).

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    If you're in Lac Le Jeune you might be thinking of McConnell Lake? O'Connor Lake is a man made lake out of Westsyde (North end of town) and is all "private property" (grazing lease BS).
    Yep you're correct. There's a lot of land around here that's grazing lease that I can't get on. Kinda sucks.

My hunting partner & I saw some big griz tracks while out walking in 3-28A late last fall. Never saw the bear.
    Last edited by 4 point; 10-18-2019 at 03:05 PM.

There was a big billboard back around 2005-2007 near the end of Tulameen River Rd, saying they were re-introduced to the Cascade/Manning area. I have never spotted one back there, but did see one by Sunday Summit on the Hope/Princeton Hwy about 7-8 years ago.