Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with all the Grizzly just north of Kamloops Lately

What's with all the Grizzly just north of Kamloops Lately

Anybody else seeing the grizz moving in up around Jaimeson creek-Bonaparte way the last few years? Have had a place on the plateau since 1950 and never recall seeing one or hearing about anyone else seeing one either.
    Times are changing and makes you a little bit more cautious going out for that middle of the night leak.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's with all the Grizzly just north of Kamloops Lately

Yeah they are definitely moving into more areas. I've seen/heard of quite a few in the Kelowna area as well. Only going to be more with no season for them

This is the first I've heard of them being that close to Kamloops. I used to live in AK where there were a lot. Different way of looking at things for sure...

I hope they don't make it south of 'Loops.

Guess I gotta get that bear spray after all. Sure wish I could carry my 44 mag...

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    This is the first I've heard of them being that close to Kamloops. I used to live in AK where there were a lot. Different way of looking at things for sure...

I hope they don't make it south of 'Loops.

Guess I gotta get that bear spray after all. Sure wish I could carry my 44 mag...
    I have personally witnessed them on 3 different occasions within a 60 minute drive of Kamloops.

Seen one by Stump lake a few years ago and another last spring north of Chase.

There was one hanging around Tunkwa 10 or so years ago. Maybe the lack of moose is getting them wandering for food.

Hmmm lack of much reduction in numbers, or hunting pressure..means numbers are up more bears mean smaller younger bears get pressured by larger older bears...moving into new areas with less confrontation..less chance of mortality..
    how humans interact with bears has changed..now leaf lickers with cameras present much different than hunting encounters....bears pick up on this....
    Choice between apex mature grizzlies or soft target human areas...choice is obvious..and instant.
    Only going to get worse...more bears need larger areas of home range..they will continue to push into areas that historically have not seen much grizzly activity.
    Lets be safe out there..
    Steven

Sh_t will start to hit the fan once a few non-hunter types start getting munched closer to the typical rec areas and urban centres....sad it will take that for people to begin to understand what those that know have been saying. Even then the seed eaters will still blame it on human encroachment.

You mean I have to pay attention now around there with just carrying my BBear tag!.
    Damn, funny how you expect to only see creatures you have seen for 50 years in the same areas.
    Now, we get Gbear and Wolves in places they have never been.

Didn't they get the memo!.
    They are supposed to be both near "extinction"!!!

guest Guest

Just saying........the SSS rule will likely play a role with some nearby ranches 1st.

Stupid Non science based decisions by our Political Shills will be responsible for the attacks when it happens near urban centers.

Way to Go Suzuki and followers.