Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad day hunting better than a good day working?

Re: Bad day hunting better than a good day working?

I got a bunch of a couple weeks back. Still missed more than half the shots I took but at least I was able to come home with 5.

THIS weekend was funny though. I figured I'd post an update about the grouse around camp... and bad days hunting better than good days working.

Friday I got stuck at work for an extra half hour which turned out to be just long enough for the skytain to start having problems... took me a couple extra hours to get home, then the 2.5 drive to camp, etc. I think it was 1:30am before we got settled in camp, then a bout of insomnia. Slept until around 11AM... what a write off of a morning.

Wife was totally stick with a cold bug and opted to rest around camp. I figured I'd walk around and look for birds. I didn't want to head into my deer spot until at least 4PM... plus my co-worker (a possible up and coming hunter, yet to take the core) wanted some grouse wings for dog draining. Told him I wasn't going to be an area with many grouse, but I'd keep an eye out. I only ended up seeing one (didn't even give me a chance before flying to the next time zone).

4PM I figured I'd switch the shotgun for the rifle and head into my deer spot. After sitting about an hour caddisgirl who had been sleeping in the jeep hits me on the radio...

caddisgirl: "There's a big grouse just landed in front of the jeep"
    caddisguy: "Shoot it with one of the blue shells"

I figured she'd hit me back and say she didn't feel like it, doesn't like my shotgun, etc, but the radio went silent and a minute or so goes by. Wasn't sure if she went back to sleep or if she was going for it. She usually leaves shooting things to me and she's never operated the shotgun... but hey who knows

BOOM

I'm thinking "no way! that's awesome... oooh I hope she got it" ... after 30 seconds or so back on the radio "I got it!"

Man I was so excited. No bucks on my trailcam, just a bunch of does. Thought screw it... I pretty much ran back to camp to share the moment. She did what I couldn't do a few weeks back... wake up to grouse running around camp (this does not happen often in Region 2 LOL) got out of the jeep and loaded shotgun without detection, then blasted it perfectly, head and neck only from about 25 yards. Proud moment she did it all on her own!

Re: Bad day hunting better than a good day working?

That’s awesome! Congrats!