Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

Nope. Seen a cow moose with her lower jaw shot off. Seen a whitetail buck with it's sinuses blown out.
    Didn't have a gun to end it for them.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Leaseman View Post
    I have done a number of head shots..... never an issue.

You need to where your rifle shoots and your own capabilities. Period.

You know these and you are good.

Yes, I will continue doing them when the opportunity presents itself.
    No, not Period. All it takes is a slight movement from an animal as you squeeze the trigger for things to go horribly wrong. No matter how good you are( or think you are are) you don't control all of the circumstances that govern a clean kill shot. A movement of 4" can happen in a split second and make a Charlie Foxtrot out of a "well placed" head shot but 4" in the boiler room will in all probability still be a kill shot.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Well in the end it really comes down to one's confidence, capabilities and the situation that presents itself, if you feel head shots are unethical don't do it...its really that simple, its like telling someone they shouldn't shoot at animals over 300 yards its unethical ? to each their own and you should know your capabilities, again if head shots aren't your thing don't do it.

I found three dead bucks on different days in Oct a few years ago all were broadside shots, two were gut shot and one was still warm, I could hear a quad up the hill so searched around and found the chaps that were looking for their deer, they couldn't speak a word of English but I was able to show them the deer which they were delighted and claimed they shot it.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Ok I’m a little confused... so I have a question for all the members that have seen or done head shots where the bullet ricochets off the skull.. What rifles, rounds, and distance are being shot at that allow a bullet to ricochet off an animal skull? If the skull is that strong, why aren’t they being used for body armour or protective purposes? I may not know a lot, but I see people using hunting rifles at the range blowing holes in brake rotors and steel plate at 100+ yards.. so it just doesn’t make sense that it would ricochet unless the distance was very far where the bullet speed drops to that point..

I would love to hear the same thing. I would not be fast to believe anyone has had a "ricochet" ... Glancing blows for sure, but a "between the eyes" ricochet.... no way. unless your way way way undergunned

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    No, not Period. All it takes is a slight movement from an animal as you squeeze the trigger for things to go horribly wrong. No matter how god you are( or think you are are) you don't control all of the circumstances that govern a clean kill shot. A movement of 4" can happen in a split second and make a Charlie Foxtrot out of a "well placed" head shot but 4" in the boiler room will in all probability still be a kill shot.
    Says you......

Maybe you have issues hitting something close, I don't. Never have had a problem, don't expect one!

BTW, I am not a god, but thanks for saying it!!

Says you......

Maybe you have issues hitting something close, I don't. Never have had a problem, don't expect one!

BTW, I am not a god, but thanks for saying it!!

Hmmm ewe are a god to me Mike..fishing god...cooking god etc etc
    Cheers buddy
    Steven

Thanks!

Will call you tomorrow if you are around.....

Well if you can think you can control the forces of nature maybe you are or just arrogant animals will do what animals will do and they can F up a shot by moving just a bit. A movement of 4" means everything when dealing with a target 6" around, not near so much with a large kill zone like the boiler room. Get down off that high horse Mike I was not questioning your marksmanship only stating a fact no one has control of outside forces that govern a shot on a live creature. Jeez man don't be so insecure it's not about your shooting ability it's about minimizing risks how many times have you seen or heard of an animal ducking an archery shot. $hit happens save the higher risk shots for gongs and paper. And BTW thanks for pointing out my type O fixed now.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks!

Will call you tomorrow if you are around.....
    Yes...Detlef Iis here..
    Cheers
    Steven