Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    Yes I am fairly new to hunting, if had my license for years and years but never really went out. Now that I’m training a lot more and eating like 1500-2000 kcal meals every few hours it will benefit me more and it’s also a lot healthier for the wife and I, we also like the adventure it takes us on. I still have an enormous amount of learning to do.
    hunting is awesome! and you are asking questions that you should be asking. Don't ever feel dum..... I was just saying ,,, "Your new, you should most definatly not take headshots"

Look for the best shot. Sometimes the best shot is still s shite shot so you have to know when not to pull the trigger despite your game being right there. Ive taken head shots and neck shots but only when certain and with a rest. Everyone's ability will vary and you need to respect your and your equipment's abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Hunter View Post
    I feel the exact same as you. My teacher said a double lung heart shot is the best shot you can take. 3 targets in 1 for all the sniper boys.
    Yes, it certainly gives you the biggest target, the widest margin for error and the highest probability of a kill shot.

Absolutely no head shots from us! Ever!

It’s interesting to see how many people are opposed to head shots.

I have taken them in the past and will continue to do so.

I’ve seen quite a few animals killed in my hunting career, most were shot in the heart/lungs. I’ve watched animals run after being mortally shot through the vitals. I’ve never seen an animal run after being shot in the brain.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Sure, there are hunters capable of some pretty amazing marksmanship but Id be more impressed by seeing their results on paper then listen to someone boast about headshots in my opinion.

In hunting though, it really comes down to legality and personal ethics. Since head shots are perfectly legal it comes down to your own ethics and the amount of risk you fell is acceptable.

Yes, people screw up heart/lung shots and loose animals, and not all solid heart lung shots are bang-flops, but they die fast. The margin for error is too high on headshots.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-20-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Unless you're living off the land and absolutely need that meat, why risk wounding by
    shooting at such a small lethal target? There are exceptions as some have pointed out,
    that being the animal is quite close, you know your gun, and you have a rest.
    The only head shots I've taken, and I've shot a lot of game, has been on the farm when
    I could put the barrel end behind an ear...otherwise it's just not worth it to me.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Here we go, unethical, blah blah blah. Every hunting situation is different. I've used head shots, why not, if you can do them. Gotta know your own capabilities, your weapons capabilities, and the situation. Always go for the highest potential of creating the most lethal wound channel. Sometimes its the brain, or spine, but most times its the biggest target, the chest. Do your part, practice, use a properly sighted in weapon, and use a bunch of common sense. If it is a marginal chance at creating a lethal kill, then don't shoot. Simple! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

If it’s close range chip shot I feel 100% on yes I will take a head shot if I feel it is my best possible option. But I am also a hunter who won’t pull the trigger if I am not confident in it. It’s not just a matter of hard shot or chest shot it’s being honest with your ability in the moment. Yes I will take a head shot under the right conditions but I will also pass on a 50yard chest shot if I am too gased to steady my crosshairs

The ethics of shot selection should be based on the hunters true ability and conditions in the moment. Know your true limits and if you have doubts don’t pull the trigger. This goes for shot selection, shot angles, and distance it’s not a simple chest shots only within X distance

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Here we go, unethical, blah blah blah. Every hunting situation is different. I've used head shots, why not, if you can do them. Gotta know your own capabilities, your weapons capabilities, and the situation. Always go for the highest potential of creating the most lethal wound channel. Sometimes its the brain, or spine, but most times its the biggest target, the chest. Do your part, practice, use a properly sighted in weapon, and use a bunch of common sense. If it is a marginal chance at creating a lethal kill, then don't shoot. Simple! Moosin
    Amen brother!!!
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main