Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

I wouldn't go for the head under most circumstances. Stuff can change really fast. I headshot a bear by accident once while going for the double lung. He swung his head around while I squeezed the trigger. It's a good example of how much movement can happen so quickly.

I did go for a neck shot on one occasion, but only because the bear was sleeping and the chest was behind a tree. I lay there prone for 45 mins with it in the cross hairs before my brain told my finger to squeeze. It all worked out.

If you are somehow certain an animal won't move its head and you're 100% confident with the shot, can't argue with that though.

Could never understand why people boast about being able to touch 3 rounds on paper at 100 yards but cant take a headshots/high neck shots within a 100 yards..I've seen many headshots do the trick. The bonus when you skin cut and process you dont have bloodshot or a 300 win mag whole in the side of ur little whitetail..not saying I always do but I will if I can..def wasnt waiting for a headshot on the 6 point bull that went down this year lol
    Last edited by .308SLAYER; 09-22-2019 at 07:27 AM.

I posted on here a couple years ago about this. Proper rest and situation is a no brainer ��
    got blasted by a few members. One dude who I won’t label even called me a bad name. Dick
    Circumstances make the shots I’ve never wounded a big game animal in my life I’ve also passed up lots of shots that weren’t in my comfort zone. Lots with a bow
    40 th year heading for the dream ram. Still haven’t caught up to him in season
    Seen a pretty boy last year but his mouth would still be full of teeth and mine isn’t ��

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    This, nothing more nothing less, anyone who has ever seen an emaciated animal with its jaw blown off from a failed head shot woul think twice about head shots.
    I haven't read all the comments but I do wonder how many animals you've seen personally that have had their jaw shot off vs legs shot off vs gut shot?

have you ever seen a deer 8 or 10 weeks later with its bottom jaw shot off? After a head shot gone bad I have.I had to put it out of its misery and waste a tag on a deer that was staving to death. It is not for me no one will ever convince me to take that shot ever not after having seen that.

abortions and head shots

(most) everyone likes to be their sanctimonious best on these two issues

call it a hunch, no one is going to change their (mine included) view - ever

everyone shines up their 'morals and ethics' differently - that freedom is what grandad fought for

who are any of you here to say "I am right and you are 100% wrong?"

everyone has a backstory

here's mine - hunted deer 35 years (ish), my gun shoots straight and i generally am capable of shooting straight

my self imposed restrictions:

under 30-40 yards, NOT MOVING ill take a head shot every single time

beyond this, or moving - in the boiler room every single time

i have shot lots of deer (yet currently find myself in a bit of a drought...........was going to go to the EK and help that rock guy close the deal.....)

sad thing, i have lost 3 deer in my life; all broadside, all within 200 yards, ALL BOILER ROOM, and all searched for 4 - 6 HOURS (no blood; no snow - fkk me this is agonizing)

so to wrap up and get you all going again

save the 'odd eyeball hanging out of its socket' head shot deer. mentioned earlier....

i bet a nickel that there are 10 (TEN) times more animals left to die in the woods from boiler rooms shots taken from far away and never followed up

at a minimum

chris

Quote Originally Posted by boblly1 View Post
    have you ever seen a deer 8 or 10 weeks later with its bottom jaw shot off? After a head shot gone bad I have.I had to put it out of its misery and waste a tag on a deer that was staving to death. It is not for me no one will ever convince me to take that shot ever not after having seen that.
    I’m not advocating for or against headshots, but I would have to say that it would be awfully difficult for any animal
    to eat with “its bottom jaw shot off”.... and there isn’t a deer alive that can survive “8 or 10 weeks” without any food.

Makes it tough to believe someone when they make impossible claims. Just sayin’.

Quote Originally Posted by boblly1 View Post
    Sounds like bullshit to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I've seen a elk once with a busted jaw. Shot or not I can't say. I've shot a 3 legged bear that was supposedly shot a year or 2 before and ìve found a bullet in a elk that didn't come from my gun.

Imo a wild game animal that has been shot in the jaw is a rarity compared to how many are body shot that run off wounded to die a slow death. At the end of the day it's hunting and you'll never have the same situation twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Sounds like bullshit to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I've seen a elk once with a busted jaw. Shot or not I can't say. I've shot a 3 legged bear that was supposedly shot a year or 2 before and ìve found a bullet in a elk that didn't come from my gun.

Imo a wild game animal that has been shot in the jaw is a rarity compared to how many are body shot that run off wounded to die a slow death. At the end of the day it's hunting and you'll never have the same situation twice.
    Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post

Amen brother..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main