Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

I have done it.
    Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes not so much.
    Have one MD, where I took off the antler completely.
    Somewhere than is an old thread about it.
    Anyways, he dropped with a an awkward pointing away angled shot.
    Thought it was over and put everything down to get knife etc.
    And off it ran.
    Only thing left to shoot at was the head, but on the full fly and heading for timber ith no snow and was worried I may never find him once out of sight.

Missed by about 2" too high, but bang on front to back.
    I knew exactly what I had done when the trigger went.
    The puff of antler dust just confirmed it.

If it is all I have, then yes I would but try to avoid it as much as possible.
    Note: I find shots up close tend to hit a bit higher then you think.
    That's why I don't like the head shot.
    And my dad lost an elk doing a neck shot due to talk to an older timer the day before who said it was the best way to drop game and not ruin meat.
    I am sure it is true.
    But to this day, he still regrets not going at the shoulder.
    And he has no idea why the neck shot went thru his head.
    Hit the elk, but never found it.
    I did get a similar bull the next year, in the same area, who did have a bullet in the neck, encapsulated in tissue.

Go with the safe shot as much as possible, imo.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    well I’m not an anti hunter, I’m pro hunting and always will be. I happen to find this thread very informative and I posted it so I could be educated, and I hope it also educates others. some of us done have friend of family members that hunt. Everything I do and have done is self taught. My very first deer was a bad experience, but I learnt more from that harvest than I have anywhere else. I was to excited and caught up in the moment and didn’t think about a multitude of scenarios that could play out and for that I will always remember to take a breath and relax and go through my shooting ritual.

As as for head shots, I’m not just going to take them because I can. I wanted to know what everyone else’s opinions were, wether it be how they feel, ethics, personal experiences, Etc.. how are we to become better if we can’t better my selves through other people’s experiences, and stories.

i go to the range a lot I’m 100% confident that I can take a shot in the lungs up to 300 yards. Now if I stalk a deer into 15-20 yards again and I’ll I have is a head shot, I’m going to take it if it “feels right to me” I have passed up on head shots before within 80yards it was up a steep embankment and looking dead at me his head was bigger than the cross hairs in the scope all I could see was the out line of eyes and in between them but I didn’t take it because I was standing on a awkward angle When I adjusted I spooked it. Oh well better luck next time.

so far from what I have gathered I feel like I have the same ethics and mentality as other where they take head shots only in perfect conditions. Heck I may never need to take a head shot in my hunting career, but I will not rule out the option if it is granted to me

thank you everyone for your advice and opinions!
    Seems to me your on the right Track to become a good Hunter. I also like to say, when you hunt long enough there will be times when afterwards you wish you did not take that shot. The best we can do is learn from mistakes regardless if we did them ourselves or heard from someone which did.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    If I was an anti-hunter looking for some good material the first thing I would do would be join a hunting forum, post a thread about the ethics of shooting big game in the head, then sit back and watch a bunch of hunters rip each other apart.

This is a pretty disgusting thread IMHO.
    On the other Hand, I believe we here on this Forum do have the High Ground. We do discuss our failures and weaknesses which will lead us at least the majority of us to become better and more Ethical Hunters.

Compare this to the average Anti-hunter anti everything so called Environmentalist which is in most cases very Dumb and Ignorant when it comes to Game management questions and regulated hunting. Best example is the Leader of the Greens which claims to be a Scientist but at the same time is against science based management of Grizzly Bears and advocating against the highly effective managed Hunting Tool.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    well I’m not an anti hunter, I’m pro hunting and always will be.
    I’m sure you are and my comment wasn’t directed at you.

What is ethical to one person may not be ethical to another. One’s own personal ethics can be based on a lot of different things, for example, whether a person is a good shot or not. What is legal though is not open to interpretation. When hunters start bashing each other on a legal form of hunting then no one wins but the antis.

Hmmmmm never.ever.
    cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmmm never.ever.
    cheers
    steven
    This, nothing more nothing less, anyone who has ever seen an emaciated animal with its jaw blown off from a failed head shot woul think twice about head shots.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-21-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    This, nothing more nothing less, anyone who has ever seen an emaciated animal with its jaw blown off from a failed head shot woul think twice about head shots.
    Yup.
    I don't think many consider what can happen to animal if that shot goes wrong.
    It never crossed my mind until it happened, but thankfully dropped it with the 2nd shot.
    It's hard to be honest about it, or even admit it, but it's true.
    Do everything to put the shot behind the shoulder.
    Lungs, heart, liver, and you cant go wrong.

I never shot a deer/moose in the head before but if there was no other clear shot available would do it.

I mostly use a GG 45/70 loaded with 420/540gr solids.

Thick skulls deflect bullets, some more than others.
    The deer brain area is small so one should be proficient with his/her gun & the animal has to be stationary.

The pros of a successful head shot is that the animal dies instantly & there is zero meat wasted.

Over the years my hunting partners have shot moose & deer in the head area & the animals were dead before hitting ground.
    Remember LT shooting a moose & instantly killing it . It was facing him in heavy timber about 40 yards away & was the only clear shot he had. He used a 308.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

12...=Now at this point we had no idea about head shots and if they were legal.///..well even texas heart shot is legal...ethical..diff.story..cold be messy too..gutless method is recommented..i never try texas shot that yet..or head shot..

Had a wt take a rnd to the head and get up. Vitals shot is primary shot selection.