Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Headshots? Take them or no?

Hey hey, so I’ve been told to take head shots and to not take head shots.... now I k ow it’s not smart or even logical to take then at a stupid amount of distance, I’m going to stay within the 100 yard range. Two years ago my wife and I were stalking a Sitka deer and we came up to around 15 yards from it. the brush we were in was pretty thick and my wife only had a head shot, and I had a top shoulder shot. Now at this point we had no idea about head shots and if they were legal or not so I took out the shoulders and lost quite a bit of meat. (Novice mistake. Next time I’ll be sure to wait longer or just tell her to take the head shot). After the field dressing we took it to the local butch and she asked “if we were that close why not take the head shot to not waste meat.” And that’s when a few other buyers there said to always take a head shot if you can...

What’s everyone’s opinion on them, if you’re within some heavy timber and only have a head shot within 100 yards would you take it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

Not for me. Too much can go wrong. Deer moves their head while you’re squeezing the trigger and you take their jaw off etc. I’d rather let something go than risk giving it a horrific slow death.

if close enough, with a rest and if no body shot was available ...just behind the shoulder is where I usually aim....if you take the shot shoulder off and wash off all the blood damage you can often save the majority of shoulders that often get tossed

"head shots" threads are always fun!

judging by your post you are pretty new. Don't mean anything by that.. but it also means you are not super experienced. for you I would say a resounding no.
    I have taken them in the past but do my very best to avoid them. in your scenario I would have shot it in the head if I had a proper rest, or I would have passed it.

In my mind there is almost no need for head shots.

Nope. Just nope. I’m not so desperate for the meat that I would take a chance at crippling an animal. Others will say differently, and that’s their choice. For me, hunting doesn’t have to be about cutting a tag.

Depends.. if its close, i have a good rest and know exactly where my bullet will go i will take it.. have done dozens in the past, zero losses..

Very effective under the right conditions
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

No. As hunters we are supposed to take ethical shots. It being such a small target vs the boiler room. It is a non ethical shot. IMO
    Cue all arm chair snipers who never miss and say the head shot is ethical because they are experts so it’s ok

200" whitetail not a chance. 350" elk not a chance either but I know my limits and capabilities so I'm not against head shots

Yes I am fairly new to hunting, if had my license for years and years but never really went out. Now that I’m training a lot more and eating like 1500-2000 kcal meals every few hours it will benefit me more and it’s also a lot healthier for the wife and I, we also like the adventure it takes us on. I still have an enormous amount of learning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    No. As hunters we are supposed to take ethical shots. It being such a small target vs the boiler room. It is a non ethical shot. IMO
    Cue all arm chair snipers who never miss and say the head shot is ethical because they are experts so it’s ok

I feel the exact same as you. My teacher said a double lung heart shot is the best shot you can take. 3 targets in 1 for all the sniper boys.