Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    So you picked a picture that more than likely isn’t showing a headshot gone wrong because it fit your agenda of all headshots are bad??? That’s like me showing a picture of a roadkill deer with 20 feet of intestines pulled out of it and then stating that’s why I don’t like body shots...
    No, I picked that picture because I thought it was a head shot. It was pointed out on the forum that it looked like it could be a predator attack. I can find a picture of a definite head shot gone wrong if you're really hung up about it

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    No, I picked that picture because I thought it was a head shot. It was pointed out on the forum that it looked like it could be a predator attack. I can find a picture of a definite head shot gone wrong if you're really hung up about it
    Why don’t you save us from any more gross pictures of what you think is a bad headshot and I’ll concede that they do happen. Just like bad body shots do happen. The only difference is that bad body shots happen way more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    abortions and head shots

(most) everyone likes to be their sanctimonious best on these two issues

call it a hunch, no one is going to change their (mine included) view - ever

everyone shines up their 'morals and ethics' differently - that freedom is what grandad fought for

who are any of you here to say "I am right and you are 100% wrong?"

everyone has a backstory

here's mine - hunted deer 35 years (ish), my gun shoots straight and i generally am capable of shooting straight

my self imposed restrictions:

under 30-40 yards, NOT MOVING ill take a head shot every single time

beyond this, or moving - in the boiler room every single time

i have shot lots of deer (yet currently find myself in a bit of a drought...........was going to go to the EK and help that rock guy close the deal.....)

sad thing, i have lost 3 deer in my life; all broadside, all within 200 yards, ALL BOILER ROOM, and all searched for 4 - 6 HOURS (no blood; no snow - fkk me this is agonizing)

so to wrap up and get you all going again

save the 'odd eyeball hanging out of its socket' head shot deer. mentioned earlier....

i bet a nickel that there are 10 (TEN) times more animals left to die in the woods from boiler rooms shots taken from far away and never followed up

at a minimum

chris

what he said...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    If this was the most humane shot then the slaughter houses would be doing it ..... they smack em right between the eyes so myth busted
    well slaughter houses also kill at point blank range and have control of the animals movements...not an equivalent comparison

I'm not against head shots, but they have limitations, only very close range for me....so far I've taken one head shot on a buck at 30 yards with a rest from my blind

here is a failed headshot, with another one in his velvet and then we dropped him with a boiler room shot....bumped into the other group that lost the moose and they said he dropped immediately, as they were walking up he jumped up and took off, second shot into his antlers.....with all the velvet bleeding there was a grizz already on him, wasn't happy we stole his dinner, had some nerve wracking company for the rest of the night

maybe the moose would have healed in this example, but the shooter didn't get the meat either

Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Why don’t you save us from any more gross pictures of what you think is a bad headshot and I’ll concede that they do happen. Just like bad body shots do happen. The only difference is that bad body shots happen way more frequently.
    Yes bad body shots happen as well. Like I said, I wouldn't be comfortable taking head shots because it's a way smaller kill area. How do you know that bad body shots happen way more frequently? Is this based on your hunting party or is it an unfounded assumption? Ummm..

Brvalley that photo is why I haven't taken a head shot on a moose .... look at the size of that noggan! Way too much room for error , neck as well .
    And I was pointing out that a boiler room or lung shot is not the most " humane " way to kill an animal even though it may be the best shot for the average hunter.

Aim small, miss small...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Neck or behind the shoulder in the vitals otherwise you should pass. Never take ahead shot. Head shots can result in deer having their mouth shot off and starving to death or a brain injury that is not lethal and the deer dies from starvation or predation as he is now an easy target.

This thread is such a ethics train wreck

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    This thread is such a ethics train wreck
    No Kidding !I thought anti hunters were judgmental .
    If you cant make the shot dont take it be it,head, neck, shoulder, spine, rump.Far be it for anyone to judge someone else's shooting skill level.Where does it stop .Really !