Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Headshots? Take them or no?

Re: Headshots? Take them or no?

Head shot gone wrong. That's why I never take it.
    That looks a lot more like an escape from a predator attack, than a missed headshot. looking close, it appears there are 4 claw marks evenly spaced from above the eye to the ear.

........would need to be some kind of JFK magic bullet, to peel the skin off the lower jaw, rake across the top of the nose, rake vertically from ear to throat, and take out the eye

JMO
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I could show you pics of an animal that hot gut shot or in the shoulder, that would not be pleasant either..

There are bad shots across the whole body of an animal at certain times... no matter where you aim stuff can go wrong..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    That looks a lot more like an escape from a predator attack, than a missed headshot. looking close, it appears there are 4 claw marks evenly spaced from above the eye to the ear.

........would need to be some kind of JFK magic bullet, to peel the skin off the lower jaw, rake across the top of the nose, rake vertically from ear to throat, and take out the eye

JMO
    Yep, looks like a predator attack that was unsuccessful to me as well.

maybe ssg from a tree stand...maybe cat claws on the side and a bite on the chin….hard to say..but definitely not from a single projectile if it is a hunting wound-good eye noticing the parallel lines

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post

JMO
    Maybe it was or maybe it was shot with buck shot..who knows. I'm sure the end result is the same. I just used it to demonstrate why I wouldn't take a head shot.

I would imagine that a lot of young cats trying to make their first kills have a lot of wounding loss....

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I've had this conversation with friend who said he prefers a neck shot, when its available. Theres somewhat more room for error, with minimal meat waste. Some marksmanship is still going to be a big factor, as well as range and the amount of force your bullet is going to deliver.
    Less risk than a head shot, but until I'm that sure I've got my sniper skills that sharp, I'll still go for double lung
    That's the shot I take every time when under 100 yds (neck), so far 0.0 steps taken on approx 40 bucks . Have also taken a few body (heart/lung ) shots, bucks always have traveled 50 to 100 yds. (25-06) Moose , I have always taken the boiler room shot as more room for error with neck and cuz I use a .264 mag and that's a bang flop.

Quote Originally Posted by biggyun68 View Post
    Heart and lung shot on big game for me because I follow a veterinarians advice, and have had a bad experience with a head shot:

Probably the best book on big game kill shots written by a veterinarian and African Professional Hunting Guide instructor: Dr. Kevin Robertson https://drkevinrobertson.com/
    The Perfect Shot: Shot Placement for African Big Game: https://www.amazon.ca/Perfect-Shot-P.../dp/1571571639

Dr Robertson is on record with saying the most humane and best kill shot is to hit the top of the heart and both lungs: by taking out the top of the heart you take out every major artery and vein supplying the body, and the most blood vessel rich area of the lungs. The loss in blood pressure is so acute that death and unconsciousness is almost immediate.

I have not read this book and I have included it for reference because a quick look at the author seems the guy knows what he is talking about. Craig Boddington: https://www.craigboddington.com/

The Perfect shot: https://www.amazon.ca/Perfect-Shot-N...GHWSV0JTH0EGKP
    If this was the most humane shot then the slaughter houses would be doing it ..... they smack em right between the eyes so myth busted

I guess old Karamojo Bell didn't know what he was doing shooting 1011 of those tuskers in the brain with a 6.5x54.
    HMMMM!

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    Maybe it was or maybe it was shot with buck shot..who knows. I'm sure the end result is the same. I just used it to demonstrate why I wouldn't take a head shot.
    So you picked a picture that more than likely isn’t showing a headshot gone wrong because it fit your agenda of all headshots are bad??? That’s like me showing a picture of a roadkill deer with 20 feet of intestines pulled out of it and then stating that’s why I don’t like body shots...