Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best GPS App for iPhone?

Re: Best GPS App for iPhone?

Avenza is great, you can get all kinds of different maps. You have to pay for some of the good ones. I like that you can buy a single page from the B.C. backroads map book and then it gives you your gps location right on it. Makes it easy to navigate the mess of roads in some areas. Can also be a big help in picking a route to pack something out, get an animal down and then look on the map and realize there’s a road way closer than the one you came from.
    Mid im really out there I like my in-reach mini and Earthmate.

I use iHunter

Works great.
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

I use Avenza also. Then download the appropriate trim map free from the B.C. government.
    http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer...11639164388216
    works well

IHunter. Worth buying the upgrades- private/public land identified, maps cached for use of grid, choice of topo or satalite overlays. And the customer service gets back pronto if you have any questions. Wish they’d somehow combine an sos function - I’d pay and get rid of the inreach.

Check out "BaseMap". Better quality imaging than hunt buddy, and shows your location. Just doesnt show MUs. I also like how you can track your Path and set markers.

An app I used on my IPhone was Root & Branch hiking app. It doesn’t have advanced gps functions but it does have great downloadable Topo maps for offline use. It’s free no ads and I haven’t found the same app for Android. I also used gps essentials for full gps functionality, I didn’t care for it much but had an annual subscription because of the great downloadable maps. Unfortunately they don’t have the great maps available anymore. So I wouldn’t recommend it.

I've taken a venture into this no service gps mapping thing. The boss bought me an inreach explorer for my bday in August. I used it on a couple trips the text anywhere function is what we got it for it works awesome. I've used the tracking function and it works good. The mapping though is just contour mapping and not that great I still haven't played with it all to be honest.

After reading this thread I downloaded iHunter on my phone a couple days back, its cheap why not give it a go. Used it yesterday it worked a charm. I've done the load up the map when your in service on the phone then use the mapping with your location in areas with no service but I find iHunter way faster, way more clear and a big improvement. A lot of features to play with that I haven't even started on yet. So looks like from now on the inreach will come along for the ride for texting and the panic button feature only I'll do my mapping with iHunter.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this