Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV Gun Boot

Re: ATV Gun Boot

I have the kolpin in the amazon link previously posted. Would buy a better kolpin model next time as the rear part is not attached with a hinge, can be a pain to remove and has to be stored somewhere once removed. I had to reinforce my brackets with extra steel welded on as they cracked/bent. My rifle stays much cleaner I’m this gun boot than on the claw type rack mounts though. After upgrading to a scope with additional turrets, the kolpin sock usually jams the gun inside the boot and it’s difficult to pull the rifle out in a hurry.

Some thoughts. You have to place your boot so you can bail easily. I know someone who got a crushed pelvis when his quad flipped backwards. The open boots can collect mud, the mud can end up at the bottom. Others have told of a hunter having his rifle explode. Those very experienced hunters all use boxes on the front of their quads. The designs vary as does their skill at making them. Mine, at a brilliant suggestion from one of them, has my 24" barreled rifle kitty corner. The box is plywood /fiberglass construction, shaped and strong enough to deal with my poor driving. Narrower than the quad. There is room for kit. The lid has the hinges at the front and gas struts to open it. It's too late for this season, but plan and build your version for next. My chain saw sits back corner. You use the chain saw after the moose is down.

Thanks for the input. Went with the Stronghold. Will spend the day figuring out the best place to mount it. Lol.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Aaron600 for the gun boot! Getting it set up on my son's little quad!

Kolpin is the 'Tupperware' of gun scabbards. The 4.3 Gun Boot is a fine example of this.
    Made to hold a 51" firearm . . . . . most sporting rifles are 42" - 44". The so-called padded sock/liner is virtually useless.
    To make this product somewhat useful, you'll have to wedge something into the toe of the Gun Boot, and line the inside with a closed cell foam.
    The cap is huge and unwieldy, and the mounting hardware is poorly designed. It's better to make your own mounting brackets.

The cap can be modified fairly easily. Mine has had a 4.5" section removed. The shorter cap with a nylon removal strap is more manageable.
    The overall length is now 47".
    I did contact Kolpin and suggested that they offer a shorter cap as an option . . . . they suggested that I mind my own business.

Would post pictures of the 'new/improved' waterproof cap and mounting hardware . . . . . just unable to do it on this site.

I have a Can Am mount and a Kolpin boot. It is very well made (the mount) and is inboard so not to snag on brush etc.

However, I barely ever use it as I much prefer a handle bar mount, the one I have receives the rifle very securely, the rifle does not over hang the machine at all.

As far as dirt goes, the scope has Butler Creek covers that are slipped on and secured with electrical tape, the rifle itself, a Sako Finnlight in s/s, is cleaned up after use and has not caused any issues in 13 years of hard use.

The rifle stock is somewhat beat up but the metal is good and still produces 5 into an inch with most any combo of powder and bullet that I have come up with.

Not pretty but a keeper.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Kolpin stronghold.

don’t even consider anything else this is the rolls Royce of gun boots. Easy quiet access fits any size gun, mount is actually sturdy and doesn’t squeak

Kolpin Stronghold. Spend the extra bit of cash on it.

I bought a Kolpin Gun Boot IV. Complete, burning garbage. Rattled loose, didn't keep the dust out, so hard to open my quad would roll backwards, even with the parking brake on.

Whatever method you choose try to mount your rifle lower on the machine to help protect it if/when you roll the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Whatever method you choose try to mount your rifle lower on the machine to help protect it if/when you roll the machine!
    that is a very good consideration that I definitely overlooked.