Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATV Gun Boot

Re: ATV Gun Boot

I dont like most gun boots cause they are not built for a bipod.. taking it off to travel, put back on when you hunt is annoying..

Better off with some u bolts and a bungee
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I realize the OP found a boot that will work for him, but thought I'd post some pics of a solution that works very well for me. When I purchased my atv used, it came with a windshield which accidentally got cracked due to the wind when I was transporting it down the highway (lesson learned). Given that I had no use for the windshield, what was nice about it is that it mounted to my handle bars with a well designed clamp and arm. I repurposed them by reversing them inwards toward the driver and mounting some Kolpin rifle mounts to the ends of them. It makes my rifle readily available and does not interfere with control/maneuverability of the quad in the least. It is quick to load while mounting the quad and quicker to unload while dismounting. It's a great setup that I prefer.

I was using a koplin 4?, served its purpose for a few hunts, then found Polaris makes a way better mounting system for their own, way strong. Lid is a bugger to get off, but its never been used outside yet..lol

I started out with the open grip mounts, the rifle got muddy and was exposed to weather. Most rifles are longer than the quads are wide. I next used a Kolpin rifle scabbard and mounted it beside me off the back rack, back as far as I could.. It was awkward to pull out and it would hinder me if I bailed on that side. I was warned about that. A box was strongly recommended. A few guys had their rifle barrels shortened to fit the front box. One guy instead mounted his box with black rubber bungees, though it was wider than his quad it would bounce out of the way. So Dan's suggestion of kitty corner solved the long barrel problem and it's handy. The large flat top can carry a moose quarter easily.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    that is a very good consideration that I definitely overlooked.
    I never thought I could roll a quad riding to hunting areas. I raced the quad 4x4 expert class and did very well. I figured with my skill level a rollover was never a concern. Well, i did roll my machine once! As I was laying under it with the handlebars mashing my lips into my teeth I came to the revelation that I wasnt as good as I thought I was!! My rifle was in a protected place low on the front rack and below the handlebars. I bought an open face helmet after that and never ride without it now.

The guys that warned me about flipping had been riding quads since the beginning. I think while hunting they have all flipped one . If those very experienced hunters can do it, it could happen to me.

I have buddies with can ams and Polaris quads. The mounting systems they have are pretty good. I can’t remember the number of the kolpin mounts I’ve got on my yamahas, but they suck. Shake like a whore in church. Testament to the talley mounts on most of my rifles though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron600 View Post
    Anyone travel on an atv with there pack on and the rifle strapped to there Kifaru Gun Bearer? As stated before. I have a free Kolpin stronghold gun boot with all attachment's if your willing to pickup in Langley. Offers open to anyone.
    I’ve used my eberlestock with a short rifle in it with decent results.