Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinders for mountain hunting???

Re: Rangefinders for mountain hunting???

Quote Originally Posted by montec assassin View Post
    I use a Leopold 1000i TBR. FANTASTIC rangefinder. The downside is that the display is red. Great in low light conditions, terrible mid day.
    It’s not perfect for mid day, but still works fine. I’ve had mine since inception and love the angle compensation which can really screw you on yardage. Flat ground is way different than shooting extreme ups or downs.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    I disagree with buying a rangefinder limited to the distance you’ll shoot. As with anything, get the best one you can afford and with the greatest accuracy/distance. I find that ranging distances farther than you intend to shoot tells you how much ground you need to close before you’re comfortable shooting, and can tell you how far you’ll have to travel to ‘get to that tree’ so you can stay behind the hogs back so the animal doesn’t detect you....etc. Ranging farther than you shoot has many uses.
    Valid points. Knowing your shooting ability and then putting that to practice with a proper range not only will make you a better hunter, but a more ethical one at that. Too many guys throw lead at what they presume is the correct yardage only to walk it and find out they were way off their guess. Or worst case, wound an animal that goes off and dies while they carry on.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Take a gander at the thread “the 400 yard curse” on here, it will help realize the importance of a range finder lol. Like others have mentioned, it will help a guy learn a lot on judging distance.... for when you forget your range finder in the truck, lol.

Good luck on the elk!!

I Personally really like having the Combo Range Finder Bino's one less thing to Carry I have a Pair of Leica HD-B I range pretty well every time I look through my glass I'm always observant to my distance not only to an animal but also how far it is across the valley or to the top of the mountain. I pretty comfortable shooting long range weather and wind pending. I wouldn't go into the mountains or on any hunt without my range finder but having them all in one is a big plus I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    I am leery of bino/rangefinder combos..if the electronics malfuntion you must send away the binoculars too..
    But yes they are an amazing items of kit.
    Cheers
    Srupp

i guess that’s the perk of most people upgrading to range finder Binos, if they ever need to send it for warranty they still have their old pair if their smart. Always good to have a backup and not put all your eggs in one basket.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Most rangefinder"s ratings need to be cut in half if you want to range a non-reflective target (animal) reliably. As a cheap guy, I can tell you, the money you save on inexpensive optics is a false economy. Buy a bone stock 300WM Savage at Cdn Tire, mount a scope worth 2X the rifle's cost and spend the same on a rangefinder. Will leave you much better off than a $2500 rifle, results wise.
    agreed, I have the same motto. (30.06)

This is what I have. Amazing optics.
    https://www.precisionoptics.net/Leic...46_p/40546.htm

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Take a gander at the thread “the 400 yard curse” on here, it will help realize the importance of a range finder lol. Like others have mentioned, it will help a guy learn a lot on judging distance.... for when you forget your range finder in the truck, lol.
    Great thread Decker! Congrats on sticking with it! If I went 9/0 on a hunt, I’d be considering taking up crocheting!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    Playing around with a ranger finder while in the bush will also make u better at judging distance when u may not have time to use a ranger finder
    very very hard a judging distance correct esp. over 300 ya.. including angle calculation sometimes impossib. over water,,etc..way better to have R F...most cases..

Totally agree with the above Last sheep hunt I took a few Rooks out and asked them all the time what they thought the distance was, 9 times out of 10 they were off by over 300 Yards mountains really make it touch to judge I would never send a round without verifying distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Totally agree with the above Last sheep hunt I took a few Rooks out and asked them all the time what they thought the distance was, 9 times out of 10 they were off by over 300 Yards mountains really make it touch to judge I would never send a round without verifying distance.

I feel the same. I know what range im comfortable shooting at beyond that knowing exacts helps a great deal IMO.