Re: Good starter gear for new blacktail hunter

Basic GPS and game bags
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    A "butt-out" tool
    What's a "butt-out" tool?

Thanks for the help guys. Main things I got out of this so far is good binos and quality, but rain gear.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Speci.../dp/B002ECKYSA

That's a Butt-Out tool.

Just another "hunting" gimmick to rattle around in your day pack for nothing in my opinion, I hope I'm not insulting anyone by saying that.

You can core around the anus and up around the lower intestine of any animal with any sharp knife.

A few cuts into the pelvis around the guts from the inside and the whole shiteree should just pull out.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.

If you can afford it, and are going to be out of cell service. I'd recommend an InReach.

A bino harness also makes life more comfortable

Definitely agree on the raingear, especially for the Island. No need for camouflage for rifle hunting? I was gonna grab some old army surplus so I don't ruin the stuff I have issued to me
    Definitely not, deer's detail vision is crap. The moment you move however, that is a different ball game. They have a hard time seeing you if you are perfectly still. I wear dull solid colours that are pretty closely matching the surroundings in tone. Colour doesn't really matter. They don't see much in the red green spectrum but they do see blue very well.

Gear I would add, a small emergency kit so you can light a fire and stay dry-ish if stranded. Add to that a small water proof bag to carry things like heart, liver, and anything else you want to take while gutting. A rope if you plan on dragging the deer out. Game bags if you plan on quartering in the field. Some water tablets if you want to refill a bottle in a stream are nice to have. A headlamp for going in coming out in the dark and fielddressing when the lights go out is a great addition over a flashlight. Otherwise compass, knife, boots, something to kill with and you are good to go. That is about all I carry in a day pack.

You probably already have a stanfield, So that covers camo for you're top half.
    Eat your dessert first.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Definitely not, deer's detail vision is crap. The moment you move however, that is a different ball game. They have a hard time seeing you if you are perfectly still. I wear dull solid colours that are pretty closely matching the surroundings in tone. Colour doesn't really matter. They don't see much in the red green spectrum but they do see blue very well.

Gear I would add, a small emergency kit so you can light a fire and stay dry-ish if stranded. Add to that a small water proof bag to carry things like heart, liver, and anything else you want to take while gutting. A rope if you plan on dragging the deer out. Game bags if you plan on quartering in the field. Some water tablets if you want to refill a bottle in a stream are nice to have. A headlamp for going in coming out in the dark and fielddressing when the lights go out is a great addition over a flashlight. Otherwise compass, knife, boots, something to kill with and you are good to go. That is about all I carry in a day pack.
    This is a good list, didn't think about most of this stuff as it's what I usually bring with me when I do overnight camping trips. Game bags are probably a good thing, I can imagine dragging a deer through the thick VI brush wouldn't be enjoyable.

Headlamp is the best item I've read above. You always need it on the day you don't think you'll need it.

Costco currently has 3 super-bright headlamps for under $30, with batteries. The LED technology is moving so quickly I never both with the expensive Black Diamond or Petzl versions, I always just buy what Costco sells and I'm usually at the leading edge of the technology for a LOT less money.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

If you have a cel phone just down load the FREE app Canada Maps, you can put your cel on airplane mode and GPS still works for tracking you and adding flags as needed, just download maps for your area before you leave home takes a cpl minutes, it’s free and simple to use, and you always have your cel handy for pictures

Good Binos 8x42 or 10x42, good boots, buy one bigger pack and use as daypack as well, most all new packs compress down, outdoor edge ultralight knife with replaceable blades, if you need a saw get a Wyoming Saw II, has a bone blade as well as a wood blade and compacts into a pouch, I’ve used them for 35 years great if trees down across the road, headlamp
    Merino wool Sox, merino wool shirt and bottoms,
    do you need Camo gear ? no, does it work ? yes I’ve proved it many times as it breaks up your outline,

if your hunting on the island as you know yourself you’ll be hunting in the rain so get some rain gear

first and last light are your friend, watch your wind
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America