Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
We all started somewhere and it takes time to figure out your style of hunting

A lot of guys like to hunt the big openings that I see in most your pictures. Myself I like to get right into the thick stuff where I still hunt, call, or set up ambush. In many ways you hunt relying on having faith in the sign in the area and use your ears more then your eyes. It results in really close encounters with most game you find. Biggest thing is slow or don’t move at all.

Being a new hunter try different styles till you find what fits and there are many ways to get the job done
Thanks for the advice Wild one. Still hunting in the woods is something I definitely want to do more of, I feel that will be a solo outing though. I’m not sure if my hunting partner is into the slow, quiet, stalk.

One thing I know for sure is that I LOVE to hike up hills or ridges (so far). Every time I see an elevated position, I want to get up there. I need to learn how to strategize that though, so I don’t blow opportunities.

I know the deer are in the the thick stuff, I saw them go in there! I’ll just have to try and build my slow and silent skills.

One question about mule deer:

Do their colours vary that much at the same time of year? I have a nagging feeling that the orange antlered buck may have been a WT (and legal to shoot), just basing that on the blonde coat and orange antlers. But I recall looking at the other ‘blonde’ mule deer and checking their tails for the black ends, which I believe they all had.

I googled some pics, but I didn’t see similarity in how the 2 pt antlers looked.

Cheers