Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deutsch Drahtaar

Re: Deutsch Drahtaar

Quote Originally Posted by phearless View Post
    Mastercaster, I have birds in the freezer, going for Chukar shortly, tough without my GWP or Lab, who we lost suddenly this summer. R.I.P. Griffin and EnVee.
    Also have blood for tracking. Now I need a rabbit a fox and a racoon.
    Thanks for the DVD suggestion. PM for price. Thanks.
    I just got rid of a couple of frozen rabbits that I could have given you. Getting a fox might be tough! Much better chance of getting a younger coyote, especially in your neck of the woods. I found that getting a mallard and goose dokken were good training items to have in the arsenal for both land and water retrieves. Dragging a deer hide through the bush is good for tracking, as well.

Great choice first year hunting with drahthaar and let me say it’s absolutely amazing what these dogs will do for a bird.

Good ideas. I will have to pull out the.17hmr for a coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I just got rid of a couple of frozen rabbits that I could have given you. Getting a fox might be tough! Much better chance of getting a younger coyote, especially in your neck of the woods. I found that getting a mallard and goose dokken were good training items to have in the arsenal for both land and water retrieves. Dragging a deer hide through the bush is good for tracking, as well.
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Great choice first year hunting with drahthaar and let me say it’s absolutely amazing what these dogs will do for a bird.
    Thanks, I am really looking forward to it. I really miss my GWP.
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by phearless View Post
    Good ideas. I will have to pull out the.17hmr for a coyote.
    I remember very clearly the first time my griff tracked a coyote that I had shot. I had seen one cross the road about 100 yards up from me while deer hunting one day. I got out of the truck, loaded up, and got it to stop about a 100 yards up the hill. Took the shot and was able to drop it.

Sako only heard the shot,,,,she didn't see what I was shooting at because she was in her crate in the truck so I put her on a leash an attempted to track it. She was only 9 months old at the time. I put her on lher eash even though I would have almost preferred to let her have free reign but because that's what you have to do when tracking deer, etc., that's what we did.

As soon as we got to the point where the coyote had crossed the road she wanted to go up the hill in the direction it went. It's hard to know if she recognized what the scent of a coyote was but she may have since we have a number of them in the large dog park I take her to on a regular basis.

In any event, she took me right to the dead yote but locked up solid about 20 feet away, probably wondering what the hell she was looking at. She did bristle a bit! LOL

I would worry about teaching cooperation,exposure to the environment and socialization.Dragging a deer hide through the woods doesn't do nothing to teach tracking.There is a big difference between a Drag and a Track.Dogs that do lots of drags will have a difficult time to follow a track.Following a drag for these dogs is like you following a highway.People like to get carried away on what to teach,teach for the appropriate age.Encourage use of nose,food searches and food tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    I would worry about teaching cooperation,exposure to the environment and socialization.Dragging a deer hide through the woods doesn't do nothing to teach tracking.There is a big difference between a Drag and a Track.Dogs that do lots of drags will have a difficult time to follow a track.Following a drag for these dogs is like you following a highway.People like to get carried away on what to teach,teach for the appropriate age.Encourage use of nose,food searches and food tracks.
    phearless,

now this fellow knows what he's talking about. And your breeder will provide you with the best advice and the training resources to develop your versatile pup.

Pups were born this morning! 8 weeks and counting. Vom Nordlicht Deutsch Drahthaars.
    Tight Lines

Exciting times! Now the wait, lol.
    Looking forward to seeing your pup.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Exciting times! Now the wait, lol.
    Looking forward to seeing your pup.
    I will put up some pics as I can.
    Tight Lines