Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deutsch Drahtaar

Re: Deutsch Drahtaar

Quote Originally Posted by phearless View Post
    I have a pup coming in January. Oh boy here we go. Anyone have NAVHDA info? Is there a BC chapter. I can't seem to find much.
    Congrats bud. Welcome to the dark side, lol.

No chapter in BC, but there is one south of Edmonton and in Washington state. If you look at the NAVHDA web site, you can see the chapters and contact info for each.

Fun times ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by phearless View Post
    I have a pup coming in January. Oh boy here we go. Anyone have NAVHDA info? Is there a BC chapter. I can't seem to find much.
    there is no chapter in BC. I joined the one in Washington. They are great and lots of people willing to help.

https://www.pnw-navhda.com/

Thanks for the info folks. Let's get this train rolling.
    Tight Lines

Try to save a few upland birds that you can freeze to assist in your winter/spring training before the season closes. Chukars and pheasant are best but grouse are easiest to get in your neck of the woods,,,,,but the feathers come out the easiest in the pup's mouths which they're not crazy about. You'll wish you had if you don't. lol

The DVD set by Jon Hann called "Perfect Start and Finish" is a good one from what I've been told. Based on his Perfect Retrieve DVD set, which I do own, if they're anything like it it should really help with your training. If you get it now you'll be able to go through it a few times so you'll be well versed on what to do in the early going and speed up the pup's development since you're a good ways away from any NAVHDA chapter location.

If you don't mind me asking how much are the DDs south of the border? Just wondering how they compare to the cost of a griff.

Congrats, where did you get your pup from? Male or female?

Quote Originally Posted by jnikkel View Post
    Congrats, where did you get your pup from? Male or female?
    Jnikkel, pup is coming from Vom Nordlicht Kennels in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Andrea Clarke has been great. We are down for a brown male. They should hit the ground around Nov. 20th.
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Try to save a few upland birds that you can freeze to assist in your winter/spring training before the season closes. Chukars and pheasant are best but grouse are easiest to get in your neck of the woods,,,,,but the feathers come out the easiest in the pup's mouths which they're not crazy about. You'll wish you had

The DVD set by Jon Hann called "Perfect Start and Finish" is a good one from what I've been told. Based on his Perfect Retrieve DVD set, which I do own, if they're anything like it it should really help with your training. If you get it now you'll be able to go through it a few times so you'll be well versed on what to do in the early going and speed up the pup's development since you're a good ways away from any NAVHDA chapter location.

If you don't mind me asking how much are the DDs south of the border? Just wondering how they compare to the cost of a griff.
    Mastercaster, I have birds in the freezer, going for Chukar shortly, tough without my GWP or Lab, who we lost suddenly this summer. R.I.P. Griffin and EnVee.
    Also have blood for tracking. Now I need a rabbit a fox and a racoon.
    Thanks for the DVD suggestion. PM for price. Thanks.
    Tight Lines

Thanks for all the info, I wasn’t aware of the Dd breed and now I’m interested in getting one. Had a GSP for years, great dog but got cold, and was quite energetic 90% of the time. Sounds like a DD doesn’t have these traits. When ordering a dog from across the country do you know if they ship or if you have to go pick it up? Also, what was the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by corywilson13 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I wasn’t aware of the Dd breed and now I’m interested in getting one. Had a GSP for years, great dog but got cold, and was quite energetic 90% of the time. Sounds like a DD doesn’t have these traits. When ordering a dog from across the country do you know if they ship or if you have to go pick it up? Also, what was the cost?
    Best to arrange with a breeder to see if they have a preference for picking up or if they are ok with shipping.
    I have had pups shipped from Ontario, and have also picked them up in Idaho, Oregon and Texas.
    Prices vary, so its a good idea to talk to breeders that have pups or are planning upcoming litters. Spring is the busiest time for litters being born so now is a good time to talk to breeders.
    Good luck!

Some breeders don't ship but if they do the pup must be a minimum of 12 weeks of age and can only be shipped during certain months of the year because the cargo hold is much too cold several months of the year. Have no idea of the cost but a call to the airline will solve that.

The pick up weekend for my griff was mid February so I used up the rest of my air mile points and flew back to Quebec to pick mine up. At 8 weeks of age she barely fit in the maximum size of soft carrier that they allow in the cabin.

That was 2 1/2 years ago so I can't recall the price. It wasn't too bad. It was with West Jet because they'll let you fly with pups that are less than 12 weeks of age,,,,Air Canada won't. I did have to phone the airline to let them know I was bringing a puppy back.

The airline was nice enough enough to give me all three seats in my row but under no circumstances did the flight attendance allow the soft crate on my lap or for the pup to even stick her head out of it. They gave me sh!t a couple of times for this. All in all, the flight went a whole lot smoother than I thought.

Since DDs are a little bigger than griffs so I'm not sure they'd fit in a soft crate at 8-9 weeks of age to be brought back in the cabin so you'll likely have to wait until thy can fly in cargo and get a pup that is 12 weeks of age. My particular breeder was going to charge $20 per day for each day after the 8 week pick up date which was one of the reasons I wanted to fly back to go get her. I felt that extra month of bonding and training was important.