Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog training treats,,,,what's your preference??

Dog training treats,,,,what's your preference??

So what do you prefer to use as treats when training your bird dog? Bought from the pet shop, weiners, kibble, other?

Luckily for me I have lots of wild game (deer and moose) trim in the freezer, as well as spruce grouse, since I don't care for the dark meat too much, an duck and goose breasts. Sako will literally jump through hoops for any of these!

Even though Sako will eat all that stuff raw I make jerky out of it so I can carry it in zip lok bags. Just ran out of all the goose jerky I had,,,,,big bag lasted over 5 months.

The last two mornings I made up some deer trim jerky so I'm good well into the fall. Have to give kudos to Sako for leaving it alone while I was out. I left it sitting on the counter to cool and finish drying until noon totally unguarded. Even with the smell wafting through the entire down stairs of the house it sat there the whole time!

In reality I fully expected that BUT I know if my mom left a pie on the counter when I was a kid and I was the only one home there's NO way I wouldn't have eaten some! lol

So do you make or buy your dog treats for training purposes?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog training treats,,,,what's your preference??

We save the liver from rutting moose and deer thats white speckled and the trimmings off the heart that we dont eat and any access raw heart and dehydrate them. Most vets use dried liver, got the idea from them.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    We save the liver from rutting moose and deer thats white speckled and the trimmings off the heart that we dont eat and any access raw heart and dehydrate them. Most vets use dried liver, got the idea from them.
    I've got 2-3 deer livers sitting in the freezer that I need to do up as treats. Do you just do the same thing,,,,,slice them up thin and throw them in the oven,,,,or do you actually use a dehydrator? I can only imagine how stinky the house will get after doing that!! lol

My preference is a pat on the head and "good dog"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    My preference is a pat on the head and "good dog"
    That’s how I do it too! I think the bond is stronger with praise, rather than food rewards! Pat on the head, toy, and a good face shake!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I fully agree Mossinaround
    Gone Hunting. Back soon to go Fishing

Dogs are like people,,,,they respond differently to different types of positive reinforcement. My griff is a real foodie and she definitely works way harder for treats than physical appreciation or verbal praise. I was the same way. If I did something well or accomplished something that was totally unexpected I much preferred coming home to a home made apple or blueberry pie than getting a hug and a "That'a boy!"

My last Brit responded better to physical appreciation where as her mother preferred high value treats instead and they basically had the same DNA proving they were different from each other even though they spent a fair bit of their lives together. You just never know what works best so you use both methods to show your appreciation for a task well done.

I always give verbal praise and a back rub to my griff but it's truly those deer, moose, and goose treats that's icing on top of the cake for her. I have no problems getting/making my treats for free so cost is not an issue. I hear the high value treats purchased in pet shops can be really pricey.

I've only ever owned female bird dogs. Perhaps males respond differently but I doubt it,,,,each dog has its own identity as to what means more to them. I really don't think one method of positive reinforcement is any better than the other. Just my opinion of course.

We've preferred deer "jerky" but the last few years I've been deerless so we've been drying out yams and sweet potatoes, our mutts love 'em.
    Many years ago when the Good Wife and our first Toller were active in Agility, I took some deer jerky to one of the classes. Aware that not all Dog Sport enthusiasts are pro hunting, I was expecting a bit of negative vibes when I offered some to each of the class members but everyone, and their dogs loved it. After giving each class member a handful I noticed that one guy was eating it and I politely pointed out it was for the dogs, not the humans. He laughed and said "I'm not wasting this on the dog, it's delicious."

I use lamb lung for training my Lab. She will stand on her head for the stuff. I only use a piece about the size of your thumb nail along with praise. In order to not become a "pez" dispenser she never knows when she will get the reward. Non training treats are different. She gets apples and carrots and if she gets in my garden she just helps herself. LOL
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

I used treats "on occasion", but only when Im having issues with my dog maintaining eye contact when I say "look". By "on occassion" I mean I have yet to go through a full bag of training treats. My lab eats every morsel of food like its the only thing she's ever been fed so I have to be very cautious about using training treats.

I'm no expert but agree that having a dog learn through praise and enjoyment is the best training reward. But I also believe every dog/handler is different. And if it works for you and your dog, perfect.