Thread: Eberlestock M5 Pack

Eberlestock M5 Pack

Anyone use the M5?
    Looking for opinions from actual usage. How is it for a multi day hunt? And for packing out meat?

Thanks
    JB flang is my hero.

Moose guide infamous quote.
    "when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Eberlestock M5 Pack

Eberlestock packs are a favorite of mine. I owned the team elk pack years ago but didnt keep it. As I recall it wasnt nearly big enough for backpacking. It will carry meat but not comfortably. The lack of load lifters means you carry a lot of the weight on your shoulders which gets painfull. The hipbelt was fairly thin as well. I really like eberlestocks layout and the built in gun scabbard. It makes a great daypack and can certainly be used for hauling meat out from a daypack hunt. Look to the just one or the dragonfly for a multiday pack. They still lack loadlifters but will "get it done". I currently own the dragonfly and the gunrunner.

I have owned a gunslinger for about 20 years. Great day pack but not a load pack at all. Good info on the lack of load lifters.
    JB flang is my hero.

I bought the M5 pack off of SwampThing and like it for a daypack (carrying your lunch and some extra cloths and gear). I guess you could use it for a overnight bag (maybe one night). I have not carried meat out with it but you could do a couple deer shoulders and then you would be out of room. Its not that big inside. If I got something with it, i would pack one load of meat out and go in with a bigger meat carrying pack.

I have the dragon fly pack too as well as a Barneys. I found the dragonfly too wide to use as a day pack. You can compress it down but the footprint of it is still big for a day pack. The M% is considerably narrower then the Dragon fly, basically the same size as most day packs out there. I only pack meat out maybe 1% of the time so I went what would work the other 99% of the time and the M5 fits that bill. I wont mind walking back with another pack for those 1% times.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Well I ended up getting a Mystery Ranch Terra Frame 80 litre. Bigger than what I started looking for. But will do everything I will ever need and more.
    JB flang is my hero.