Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves in Maple Ridge??

Re: Wolves in Maple Ridge??

There have always been wolves and wolfdogs In the Whonnock/Stave Falls area. I know personally of at least 1/2 a doz that were shot in the Late 50s/60s/early 70s it's a short distance over the ridge from there to the Alouette I have ridden it on horse back many times. Looks like a wolf to me but could be a Belgian Shepherd cross? The second pic does look like a wolf "stance/profile". But as for the OP's question YES there is most definitely wolves in Maple Ridge. Big Lew should chime in hopefully he has some knowledge, like me grew up hunting those areas.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Yup, there's always been wolves and wolf-dog crosses in and around Alouette and Stave lakes
    as well as Webster's corners. Even saw a couple as well as tracks on our farm in Whonnock
    above what used to be the Interfor Saw Mill. There's always been bobcat, Lynx, and cougar to
    which I've seen many. There used to be lots of fox but the coyotes moved in and took over.

Well as soon as those wolves start picking off peoples kids maybe the city sheeple will get behind the govt wolf cull.

Had a wolf in the back yard at my old place in Langley that backed onto the flood plain on the bypass. Seemed to be going after the freshly hatched duckings/goslings. That was about 7 years ago. Tons of coyotes, but only ever saw the one wolf. They are around nonetheless.

Need to quietly put this one or two to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Well as soon as those wolves start picking off peoples kids maybe the city sheeple will get behind the govt wolf cull.
    If that happens you can bet the media will report that it is a rare occurrence, the wolf will be starving from lack of prey due to habitat loss and the climate crisis. Hunters and industry will get the blame. There is a 0% chance the media reports the attack is due to too many wolves/lack of predator management. Better hope they DONT attack kids for the reasons stated. Plus it’s a pretty grim thought in any case though I don’t think you mean it like that.

I was down on the Pitt dykes last year and ran into a guy who was doing some wildlife photography. He was an older guy and very wildlife savvy. He worked on one of the quarries at the south end of the lake.
    He told me he had been working early one morning, when two black wolves appeared in the area and then swam the Pitt River from west to east and then disappeared heading towards the upper Alouette River.
    He was very matter of fact about this and I saw no reason to question his observation.

Coydog if that. Nothing in that picture says wolf to me. There's not even anything in the picture to give a relative indication of size. If it's anything other than the neighbor's Shepard X, it's a coydog.
    Last edited by 180grainer; 09-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I would say with confidence that is a wolf. Size, stance and colour matches many I’ve seen.

Maybe the trappers up north are finally trading wolves for LML hookers!

Ask em if you can shoot it off their property and find out what it is...