Thread: Trail cam video

Trail cam video

How does everyone check video out in the bush. I have a reader for my phone but it seems to only show pics. Am I doing something wrong? I Can only check them on my computer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trail cam video

Just bring a pocket full of SD cards and swap em.

Swap SD cards and view them later at camp with my tablet. Ill scroll through a few in the bush on the camera itself to make sure every things working ok.

The media player on your phone probably doesn't support the format that your trail cam is recording. Try downloading a different media player from the app store that supports a bunch of different video formats. From my experience with android, I used VLC media player.

I like to view the pics onsite. Lets me reposition or add/remove cameras based off what I see. I just stick the cards in my compact digital cam and look at the pics right there

Edit: sorry, havent tried this with video "didnt read initial post well enough"
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-18-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Thx. Ya I just downloaded vlc. As for looking at them later, that doesnt make much sense to me. My cams are 10 hours away from me. I go up there for 2 weeks. I want to know what's been around them .

I bring a sd card reader for my iPhone.

Ive switched to picture mode. I run 8 cameras. Way to time consuming to do vids

Most of my cams are fairly deep in the backcountry. Sometimes I just swap memory cards as the cameras stay out year round. I do pack a tablet with me so I'm able to check the videos if I want.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

vlcviewer is a good app as others mentioned. I use that on my phone and tablet.

My phone is crappy and won't read from an external SD/USB adapter, and taking the phone apart to swap cards is a PITA, so I just bought a cheap $50 tablet some years ago... I installed vlcviewer and ES File Explorer to easily browse through video thumbnails and play the videos.

Also as Wentrot mentioned, carrying extra SD cards to swap will save you a bunch of time. Swap cards and batteries if needed, then whip out the tablet and check the cards whenever it is convenient, whether its in a nearby blind or that night at camp. I remember when I used to sit in front of each camera for 10 mins while copying off data from the cards... not really practical, especially when its pouring rain and hands are cold... touch screens don't work too well under those conditions.

When mine opens up theres a viewer on the in side. I can just watch em there and delete the ones I don't want or just hit format and its all gone. I got a toguard h40 cheap and it works found it on the letgo app 36 bucks