Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

From Vancouver you can be in area 8 or 3 within 3 hrs, deer/bear hunting opportunities are endless, for any of your hunting watch your wind and key in on first and last light, as others have said look for some cutblocks and go hunting, let you eyes do the walking with your binoculars early and late along the treelines.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Re: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

I am also in Vancouver and have several years under my belt now. Always willing to go out for a day or a weekend. Shoot me a DM and we'll get it sorted.

Cheers

Another rookie hunter from Vancouver here. I've got an October doe draw for the Pemberton area, where I hear there's some good hunting to be done. I don't have any honey holes, but if you want some company, I've got some promising spots scouted out, with help from some other great posts on here. I'd be happy to join up with another newb for a hunt.
    PM me if you might be interested!

^^^Good on you CC and Daryl, that's how ya get hunting partners! K

It's hard as a new hunter in the big city trying to find other folks to commit to joining in.
    I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand as we walk through the woods, but someone to meet back at the truck or the camp after the hunt, and compare notes and experiences... and maybe help haul a deer into into the truck if we're lucky.

I had a similar experience with fishing about 5 years back. I went out and spent the money on a fly fishing setup, with all this excitement to get out and I never used it until 2 years later. Why???

For some strange reason I was intimidated to get out and fail.
    the thought of going out alone with something that was new to me was very daunting.

So I let that gear sit around unused for 2 years until one day I was fishing with my new girlfriend’s family at her family cabin. We went out trolling and we had a blast. I used my spinning rod but they had fly rods out for trolling so it made think back to what I had planned 2 years prior.

once I got home I booked myself a casting class at pacific angler and I said to myself I won’t let any excuse stop me from getting out.

Nearly thst entire followint year I spent as much time as I could exploring, messing up, missing bites, catching fish and the big one, not catching anything. But I learned and learned quick, within the year I’ve made friends on the river, started to be looked at by peers for help and created a whole new life long passion.

So, what does this all have to do with your post?
    dont be afraid to get out and spend money on gas to gain experience.
    if I waited for someone to get out and show me it would have maybe never happened. The thought of going solo was scary at first but once you commit yourself to it that thought goes away.

Get involved in the hunting community, in time you will make friends and hunting partners.
    continue to share your experience with your friends, how awsome
    wouuld it be for one of your current friends to ask you for help and to learn all the beginning ropes of hunting.

anyway,
    good luck this season.

Amenta

theres animals anywhere you go, you just need to slow down and observe. Key word, slow down.
    Last edited by aamenta; 09-19-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aamenta View Post
    I had a similar experience with fishing about 5 years back. I went out and spent the money on a fly fishing setup, with all this excitement to get out and I never used it until 2 years later. Why???

the thought of going out alone with something that was new to me was very daunting.

So I let that gear sit around unused for 2 years until one day I was fishing with my new girlfriend’s family at her family cabin. We went out trolling and we had a blast. I used my spinning rod but they had fly rods out for trolling so it made think back to what I had planned 2 years prior.

once I got home I booked myself a casting class at pacific angler and I said to myself I won’t let any excuse stop me from getting out.

Nearly thst entire followint year I spent as much time as I could exploring, messing up, missing bites, catching fish and the big one, not catching anything. But I learned and learned quick, within the year I’ve made friends on the river, started to be looked at by peers for help and created a whole new life long passion.

if I waited for someone to get out and show me it would have maybe never happened. The thought of going solo was scary at first but once you commit yourself to it that thought goes away.

Get involved in the hunting community, in time you will make friends and hunting partners.
    wouuld it be for one of your current friends to ask you for help and to learn all the beginning ropes of hunting.

anyway,
    good luck this season.

Amenta

theres animals anywhere you go, you just need to slow down and observe. Key word, slow down.
    All good advice above ! As far as Hunting goes be safe out there !
    Arctic Lake

Doesn't feeling of that first "nibble" on your rod (PLEASE, guys, keep it clean), even though you don't manage to set the hook, get the blood pumping? Ohhhhhh THAT'S how it feels like!

Quote Originally Posted by aamenta View Post

anyway,
    good luck this season.

Amenta

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Doesn't feeling of that first "nibble" on your rod (PLEASE, guys, keep it clean), even though you don't manage to set the hook, get the blood pumping? Ohhhhhh THAT'S how it feels like!
    OHH The tug is the drug bud!

Thanks for the advice so far. Will definitely be messaging those who were offering to let me join them. Region 3 and 8 are definitely within reach, I guess maybe some hints on what FSR's or how far down them might offer the best odds after putting in the 3-4 hour drive. Thanks guys