Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

Question Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

New hunter based out of Vancouver looking for guidance on here or in person (let me tag along with you). Purchased tags for white tail, black tail, and black bear enthusiastically hoping to run into any or all of the species. I have made some solo outings into the Squamish Valley and Mt Kobau near Osoyoos. Like everyone else life is busy, time is precious and I want to make sure I am at least in the general vicinity of game. I am willing to drive 2-4 hours in any direction and put the work in once there. Would anyone be as bold to give me very specific places to begin (I can hear a few of you laughing). I dont need your honey hole (ok I do) but some productive tracts of land that a fit novice hunter could stand a hope in hell in.

GPS coordinates, screen shots or google maps links, anything to help me fish where the fish are.

Many thanks in advance, please pm me if you dont feel comfortable sharing in the open forum:

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

Every Forest Service Road holds promise of some sort. Better than an X on the map is learning HOW to hunt. You might want to check out PG66's app, howtohunt.com
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Re: Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

BTB.... Send me a PM and maybe I can offer some info.

As Gates stated, learning how to hunt is much more important than where to hunt.

I’m relatively new in the hunting world and yes I’ve had some help( from a fantastic guy that is willing to teach the next generation and fun at it) but it’s fun just going out and learning. You can be placed in the right spot and the right time with the stars aligned and still screw up royally lol. Just need to get out and learn and observe. Hunting Squamish is one of the toughest spots to hunt, especially for black tail deer. Like me living on the north shore I’d be driving at least 3 -7hrs to get into gods country. When that day finally comes when you get your first game animal you will never forget it.

Just my amateur two cents...

Agree with Tyler that the country in Squamish is tough for blacktails. Pretty good for bear though, just glassing cut blocks. As others have said, how is more important than where. Luck is pretty helpful too
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Just get out and do it. Go for a hike and look for tracks trails and poop then start hunting. I started hunting 7 years ago with 0 mentorship and have managed to kill something every year. Just get out there and enjoy the woods and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    I’m relatively new in the hunting world and yes I’ve had some help( from a fantastic guy that is willing to teach the next generation and fun at it) but it’s fun just going out and learning. You can be placed in the right spot and the right time with the stars aligned and still screw up royally lol. Just need to get out and learn and observe. Hunting Squamish is one of the toughest spots to hunt, especially for black tail deer. Like me living on the north shore I’d be driving at least 3 -7hrs to get into gods country. When that day finally comes when you get your first game animal you will never forget it.

Just my amateur two cents...
    Very well said...as said, learn how and then discover the where's for yourself...

I only started last year and I can say that waiting for someone to show you the ins and outs can be a mistake. on the other hand, trial and error is a slow and expensive way to learn to hunt.

definitely try and tag along with people that know more than you, but if your only option is to get out and go solo, and put all that theory into action, don't think twice. get out and see what its really like.

failure is the best teacher too.

Hmmmm you will never know at the start of any day how it will end, and what you will learn in the process , dont wait for the perfect day, opportunity awaits every day.start the process..keep building on your knowledge base...seek out help, experience..but get out there..its the failures we learn from..
    Never be afraid to try to help..it does not diminish anyone to admit they are new and lack more than a perfect understanding of the situation or the journey
    I remember my first Ambulance call..when the persons life literally depended on me...and 38 years later with all the help along the way..no one gets there alone...
    Same with hunting..I had amazing mentors..Ed Gerow, Clayton Mack, Betty Franks..slowly over the decades I kept learning..and still am...I still ask questions...still have gaps in my knowledge but successes come along more than failures now adays..
    I get as much satisfaction helping someone get their first animal as I do getting another one..you truly appreciate just what you know when you try and pass that knowledge on...you will know when you truly grasp the subject matter..and so will those learning..it should make sense...WHY is a fundamental question I ask myself even today on every outing..WHY? Then talk out possible solutions...its true we know more than we think we do...there are times I dont know why..thats ok..it gives me the chance to learn and improve
    Keep a hunting fishing diary..record results, weather, dates..summaries...read others results..make lists for each hunt...plan..what worked ...what didn't. .plan to be successful..buy QUALITY equipment..buy once cry once...optics are #1..once you find them..most any reasonable weapon will work..schedule sufficiant time to accomplish the task..4 days for a sheep hunt are not enough lol
    Practice hard..to hunt easy. .
    There are no stupid questions..
    Others success..in LEH..or getting an animal does not diminish you..or your chances..celebrate others victories..
    When in the end what matters is did I try and make this world a better place ? Did I contribute ? Did I genuinely honestly try and help ?
    You never know what kernal of learning when passed on will change someones life.
    It doesn't matter if it goes around and comes back to you..that was never the reason anyhow..
    If you dont make mistakes..you are not trying hard enough..challenge yourself..but be safe.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by BOBBYTHEBULL View Post
    New hunter based out of Vancouver looking for guidance on here or in person (let me tag along with you). Purchased tags for white tail, black tail, and black bear enthusiastically hoping to run into any or all of the species. I have made some solo outings into the Squamish Valley and Mt Kobau near Osoyoos. Like everyone else life is busy, time is precious and I want to make sure I am at least in the general vicinity of game. I am willing to drive 2-4 hours in any direction and put the work in once there. Would anyone be as bold to give me very specific places to begin (I can hear a few of you laughing). I dont need your honey hole (ok I do) but some productive tracts of land that a fit novice hunter could stand a hope in hell in.

GPS coordinates, screen shots or google maps links, anything to help me fish where the fish are.

Many thanks in advance, please pm me if you dont feel comfortable sharing in the open forum:
    Like others have said region 2 is a tough hunt. Thick bush and the elusive BTs are hard to find. Try region 3 as there are lots of cut blocks and open areas to glass. Mulies are easier to hunt and find than BTs. Go along any FSR around Cache Creek, Savona, etc and find some cut blocks. You will find game in these and other areas. Park and walk but you are looking at 4-5 hour drive to get into some decent areas. For WTs, I would go to region 8-14. Good luck and watch for any movement. They will be watching you!