Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

Question Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

Hey everyone,

Amenta here and I am just seeing if anyone has insight on the Bonaparte area (3-30b)
    We drew the tag for any bull this year and it's almost that time.

I've put the work in on doing my research and also been hunting the area for deer the past few years however it's time to get a moose down. We've seen cows and calves but never any bulls. So I just wanted to see if anyone has some advice.

I am leaving the end of September to be ready for the opening morning Oct 1st and will hunt hard for two weeks.

Do the bulls respond well to calling in the area? I assume we'll be catching the end of the rut.

There's a few spots we have seen cows in October last year so those are go to spots this year in hopes that moose are still in the same areas.

Do I just post up on any good spot that has a good view and call?
    Call for a few minutes then break for 30-40, then repeat calling for a few hours in this rotation?

Anyway, thank you for whoever can toss some insight into the area.

Hope everyone has been having a good season so far, mine is just about to start!

Amenta

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

Beginning of Oct is when they ramp right up....if you know of areas that had cows before, got these places as the bulls wont be far away.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Beginning of Oct is when they ramp right up....if you know of areas that had cows before, got these places as the bulls wont be far away.
    Ok great, I figured, so that is our opening day plan.
    Any thoughts on using any sort of moose call like a birch cone or one of those KC Moose Mag Call.. I've always just used my hands

I have my first draw this year too. I am definitely going to use a cone. The theory goes that you can reach out further by projecting your sound a longer distance. It would likely help even more in windy or rainy situations. think of it as being able to cover more ground without actually moving.

as I understand it, if the moose hear you and they are interested, they will make their way to you. this is wehre patience and not moving too soon / frequently comes in.

Also, I was told that listening is as important as calling.

you probably knew all that. I'm just way too excited to work and just want to talk moose all day.

best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    I have my first draw this year too. I am definitely going to use a cone. The theory goes that you can reach out further by projecting your sound a longer distance. It would likely help even more in windy or rainy situations. think of it as being able to cover more ground without actually moving.

as I understand it, if the moose hear you and they are interested, they will make their way to you. this is wehre patience and not moving too soon / frequently comes in.

Also, I was told that listening is as important as calling.

you probably knew all that. I'm just way too excited to work and just want to talk moose all day.

best of luck.
    Great reply, useful information just in general for anyone who's hunting moose.
    This won't be my first bull, I was fortunate to shoot a spike a few years back up North but much different terrain so I'm very excited to be hunting moose closer to home!

Good luck out there Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by aamenta View Post
    Ok great, I figured, so that is our opening day plan.
    Any thoughts on using any sort of moose call like a birch cone or one of those KC Moose Mag Call.. I've always just used my hands
    I used my hands at first as well and it worked but when you use a horn it amplifies the sound meaning your call carries farther . I have a birch bark call now that worked great but they don't carry them anymore . There was a fella on Craigslist or Kijiji Ontario that sold them might want to check that out. I have heard the KC fiberglass ones work but I think they are $100.00 . I have heard of fellas using bleach jugs or similar with the bottom cut out .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I used my hands at first as well and it worked but when you use a horn it amplifies the sound meaning your call carries farther . I have a birch bark call now that worked great but they don't carry them anymore . There was a fella on Craigslist or Kijiji Ontario that sold them might want to check that out. I have heard the KC fiberglass ones work but I think they are $100.00 . I have heard of fellas using bleach jugs or similar with the bottom cut out .
    Arctic Lake
    The KC one's are 100$.. Very pricey
    I've been checking out plastic cones for a few bucks but I don't know if that will be a good sound using plastic.
    Trying to find a nice birch cone but no luck yet.

Thanks for the reply Arctic!

I don't think you will have any problems getting a bull in 2 weeks. Like it was said before, if there are cows and calves, there are bulls. They aren't very smart at the peak of the rut, as long as you are fair to good at calling, success should follow. Take a look on You Tube. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    I don't think you will have any problems getting a bull in 2 weeks. Like it was said before, if there are cows and calves, there are bulls. They aren't very smart at the peak of the rut, as long as you are fair to good at calling, success should follow. Take a look on You Tube. Good luck.
    Great to hear.
    That's exactly what I've been doing.

Practicing my calls!!

Hopefully i'll be back here to post my success story!
    Thanks cameron!

PM sent........
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln