Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

Re: Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

Traffic cones work great. Cut the base off and paint it black. There are two sizes of cones but the larger ones work best. They are louder, deeper sounding and resonate more. They are damage proof (even when crushed), waterproof and will last year after year.
    Dawn = Game time !

If you're cutting firewood, just cut an extra long piece of birch, approx 20". Split with the piece with the axe by hitting the edge or just cut bark with knife and peel off. Roll it up into a cone inside out (white side in) and use electrical tape to hold shape. Drill a bunch of holes along seam and use a shoelace to lace up. Takes 30 minutes and is easy and free. Works well!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    A large coffee tin with a hockey skate lace works well for calling. Put lace through small hole in the centre of the can, tie a knot so the lace hangs bellow. You then wet the lace and pinch lace between finger and thumb and pull down. Depending on how hard you squeeze and how fast you pull it can sound pretty good. Look online for something like "coffee can moose call" to see what I'm talking about.
    If the moose you're calling is close, you can use the can to pour water onto the ground or puddle so it sounds like a moose is taking a piss.
    Just another idea for you. Good luck!
    This has worked for me in the past as has the cutoff traffic cone...each have brought in bulls

4 liter milk jug will work with the bottom cut off....or when they are really into it running your chainsaw will bring them in...lol

Hmmm tried plastic cones, real birchbark...much prefer the kc magnum ..have one use it..tone, resonance, volume..there IS a reason Ken is the world champion moose caller...
    Too much to type regarding the rut..strategies that work...tampons and moose juice..how and why..
    Sent a PM..with my phone number..glad to try and help
    Congrads on the draw..certainly no lack of moose in the area..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    I have seen a decent number of bulls in the Bonaparte. Just a heads up though, the biggest bulls I have seen out there have been in the thickest, most blow down, swampy areas. Be prepared for a pack out.
    same for me...have almost always seen them in the thickest patches way off the roads (also jumped them in thick stuff close to a road once or twice..have hunted MD there for many years but never for moose...last time up there (~3 years ago) saw lots of wolf tracks for the first time up on the mound

heheh on the chainsaw cuz I know it works too!!! next door neighbor was sanding some boards a few days ago that sounded so much like a cow call I had to do a double take cuz I know he doesn't hunt at all...heheheh I called back with some bull grunts but he had ear protection so I waited till he stopped and let out a few loud cow calls....a laugh and a beer later and we were both back at our respective chores...heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm tried plastic cones, real birchbark...much prefer the kc magnum ..have one use it..tone, resonance, volume..there IS a reason Ken is the world champion moose caller...
    Too much to type regarding the rut..strategies that work...tampons and moose juice..how and why..
    Sent a PM..with my phone number..glad to try and help
    Congrads on the draw..certainly no lack of moose in the area..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Steven, do you use it to rake branches too or just for calling? It seems about the right thickness to work on branches to me.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

The big fire last year had a definite negative effect on ungulates in that area, I wish you luck! K

[QUOTE=albravo2;2, do you use it to rake branches too or just for calling? It seems about the right thickness to work on branches to me.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm I do not use it to rake branches..simulating a bulls antlers..as I mostly only use cow calls..lol no antlers..
    I have filled it with water to reproduce sound of cow peeing..
    I use bull grunts first part of sept when the bulls are sorting out who is the boss prior to actual rut..during the rut..sept 25..to oct 20 they are looking for love..not a fight..
    On a few ocasions I have spotted a bull with numerous cows I have successfully used a bull call to threaten his harem by interloper..
    I have a old cow shoulder blade for raking but havnt used it in ages.l
    Cheers
    Srupp