Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying in hunt, canoe recommendation

Flying in hunt, canoe recommendation

I’m in the market for a new canoe. Mostly I’ll be taking the kids fishing locally. But I’d like to be able to do a fly in moose hunt and use it to get around. I don’t plan on taking it down a River. Just to get around the lake and maybe help transport some boned out meat. Is there a common restriction on length. Does it vary by outfit? I was trying to contact BCYukon air to ask them directly but haven’t got a reply. I’m looking into Clipper canoes. Model suggestion?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flying in hunt, canoe recommendation

I would take a look at a porta boat. Perfect for fly ins

I would suggest looking at an Esquif 17 foot prospector, sold at Western Canoe and Kayak in Abbotsford. Very tough. Very durable, Great payload (1100 pounds +/_). They are ABS hull material like the Oldtown Discovery, Mad River and NovaCraft boats. If I recall the Esquif 17 weighs about 70 pounds. Not an issue to strap one of these to the Beaver. One of BC Yukon's pilots has the Esquif 17 ft Prospector at their base in Dease. This boat would do well on a moose hunt and on the lakes for fishing with the kids.
    I bought a Clipper 17 ft prospector - Kevlar a few years ago from Western Canoe. Absolutely love the boat. Great handling and so light on the portage. I don't have the heart to abuse this lovely boat on a moose hunt. At the time I bought, it was a toss-up between the Esquif ABS and the Clipper Kevlar. The Clipper was $500 more but it won me over on 2 points. It is 10 pounds lighter and it paddles like a dream.
    When my brothers and I do a moose hunt, we borrow my son's 18 ft Clipper (Frontiersman) fiberglass with the Y-stern. Can use a kicker if needed. It does not paddle nicely but it has all the payload capacity needed. It weighs over 100 pounds so not a boat to portage. Even getting it on and off the roof racks is a 2 person job. Needs a canoe cart to move it around on well groomed trails.
    Semper in excretum altum

As far as owning a canoe, you can’t go wrong with a Clipper. For the purpose of a fly in hunt, in my opinion there are better watercraft options. As VLD43 mentioned; a ports boat is one. I would also look at inflatable, whether it be a light weight option like Alpaca or a traditional zodiac style. I would guess strapping a canoe to a float plane would be fairly tough on a fiberglass unit and I’m not sure how excited the pilot would be about it. I’ve never inquired about bringing a canoe when flying in so I could be completely out to lunch. Tough to beat a canoe for moose hunting or getting around a lake.
    Last edited by Alpine Hunter; 12-02-2021 at 06:11 PM.

I have used both of these on fly in hunts. Pilots love boats that go on the inside of the plane and hate boats that need to go on the outside.
    https://www.pakboats.com/pakcanoes/
    https://canoeboat.ca/collections/canoes/products/043954

I know a inflatable would be easier for the pilot. But 95% of the use would be taking the kids fishing. I might only use it for a fly in every few years. I’m more worried about buying a canoe to big that pilots won’t fly with it strapped. I know they charge more for bringing it and maybe subtract double the weight of the canoe from the plane’s capacity. Just more curious to HAS flown with their canoe and what size/model they took. Sorry for the confusion

How do you find your prospector in the wind with tracking? Do you take it in rivers or just lakes?

We really like out Kevlar Clipper Tripper Ultralight...17-6" and 54#s. Decent in the wind on the South Thompson River in our almost daily summer use. Sure is better than our 40 year old Grumman 17' Whitewater aluminum 90# canoe from a handling and ease of moving it around on land. That said the Grumman is still in good shape and owes us nothing. Never tried to fly either canoe in.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    I know a inflatable would be easier for the pilot. But 95% of the use would be taking the kids fishing. I might only use it for a fly in every few years. I’m more worried about buying a canoe to big that pilots won’t fly with it strapped. I know they charge more for bringing it and maybe subtract double the weight of the canoe from the plane’s capacity. Just more curious to HAS flown with their canoe and what size/model they took. Sorry for the confusion
    I would buy both. Get the canoe you really want for 95% use and a smaller used inexpensive inflatable for the odd fly-in maybe even a lightweight 4hp kicker for it or something like Everett posted. That 17ft pakcanoe looks pretty slick with decent payload for the weight and looks like folds down pretty well.
    Last edited by northof49; 12-03-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Agree with northof49.....get the best one for your 95% time with the kids, and then buy/beg/borrow a friend's used inflatable, etc. for the fly in trips. I looked into flying a canoe in this year with Urs from Muncho Lake - it was stupid expensive.....so much so that I bought an inflatable Stryker and frickin love it. Don't quote me, but but I believe I remember it being $300 each way for them to attach the canoe externally for transport (and they need a special license from Transport Canada for an external load like this - which they have)....but then the only plane they can fly external loads on is their bigger, more expensive plane which was several hundred more each way. I added it up and I was going to be around a grand to get the canoe in and out......

I put a 20hp on my Stryker and it will reach speeds up to 40kph with two 200lbs men in it (no gear).....will be great for the kids.....but will likely borrow a lighter 6hp for my fly in trip next year as I don't need that kind of HP trolling across small-ish lakes in the north.

Happy to hear any thoughts on this strategy - the 20HP only weighs 100lbs.