Thread: Ne'Ah Conservancy Area - legal to hunt?

Ne'Ah Conservancy Area - legal to hunt?

Good day to all,

I'm new to hunting in northern BC, but not new to hunting. My hunting partner and I are planning a fly-in moose trip for 2022, and we are looking at several lakes up north. A number of them are in within the boundaries of the Ne'ah Conservancy. I can't seem to find much information on whether hunting is legal, needs FN permission, etc. Can anyone advise me?

Also - if you've been in to Quentin Lake, Looncry, or Horseranch Lake, I'd like to hear from you via PM.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ne'Ah Conservancy Area - legal to hunt?

Good question. No info on BC Parks. I'll try to find out.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Typically it is only class A parks and ecological reserves that may habe or may have restrictions on hunting (aside from treaty negotiated lands). I couldn’t find anything on restrictions on hunting. Although based on recent work up north, most FN are trying enforce their own desires as BC laws. Contact the Band office and ask them. Then contact a CO and ask him. If it’s legal under our laws, I’d fly at it but you may get some guardians telling you to leave. The way of the future in this fine province of ours.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll try to contact a CO and ask who to ask, and post the info I find. BC Parks is very unhelpful on this - although they do list the area. I've read some negative feedback from posts about hunting around the Ft. Ware area in an archived post from a decade ago - anyone have recent experience? I could see this being an issue if one were to drive up and hunt just outside the settlement, but wouldn't think there would be too many people venturing 57km into the backcountry lakes to harass us?

Hunting for wolves are you??
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

No…..moose. Are you suggesting there isn’t much in the way of game up that way?

Second that on the BC Parks info. A loop of uninformative web links!

From what I've determined so far it's worth contacting the Kaska Den. There were some gates on some roads in their territory this year but reports came back saying "they allowed us access and were very nice people".

Info I have is: Kaska Dena Council, Post Box 9, Lower Post, BC, V0C 1W0. Reception is Betty Shepherd 250-779-3161.

I haven't ever talked to them but I think the contact info is correct.

See what they say and please report back. Contact me directly if you like as I'd like to know what the response is. (rob@robchipman.net)
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Thanks for the phone number Rob - I called it but no answer. I'll try again later and let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Thanks for the phone number Rob - I called it but no answer. I'll try again later and let you know what happens.
    Probably best not to call before 1 PM