Thread: Hunting Through the Eyes of a Nine Year Old

Hunting Through the Eyes of a Nine Year Old

I would just like to post a thank you to the site, between some of the past posts and a couple day trips scouting I found a great little spot for my son's first official hunting trip this past weekend. I thought some of you would get a kick out of a few of his observations.

We headed up the logging road late on Friday and his quarry started darting in front of my headlights. You've never seen someone get so jacked about seeing rabbits before (forgive the pun). We pull into a good spot and made camp for the next couple nights. We got up good and early, chased bunnies for a couple hours, came back for good breakfast then went exploring, followed some game trails, jumped a small buck, saw loads of elk/deer/bear sign, followed the edge of a slash up to ridge, dropped down the other side and followed an old brushy road back to camp. Some hot dogs, some 22 plinking and back out down the road after rabbits. Walked back at dark, campfire and some hot chocolate with supper before hitting the hay. Absolute perfect weekend.

His insights:

"Peeing out here is awesome but the toilet wins for pooping."

"How can they (rabbits) go from being everywhere when I don't have my gun to just gone as soon as I'm ready?"

"Hunters are really friendly." we came across a few trucks while walking back down the roads and everyone stopped to say Hi. Which was great!

We had numerous discussions about the various critter crap as we came across it and he says "Man, I never knew poop was this important. How come when something's not important you say it's not worth @#$%?" I had no answer.

Thanks,

Big Beard

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Through the Eyes of a Nine Year Old

Hah! Through the eyes of a child!! I love that last question - that's critical thinking at its finest.

I'll never forget the time my daughter (I think she was about 4 or 5 at the time) grabbed a tape measure and tried to measure her Grandma's butt.. "don't be scared grandma, I'm just going to measure your bum", she said. We just about died laughing! Got to love kids. Good memories!!
    Last edited by ActionJackson017; 09-16-2019 at 03:49 PM.

F ing awesome first post..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure what forum to put it in, so hope it's the right one.

Awesome story!! Oh the fun with things that come out of kid's mouths lol

Lol awesome...my 6 year old knows his critter poop pretty good...we've only harvested a grouse together thus far, hopefully more to come...

lol, the last one..... that's priceless!

I cant wait to take my kids out hunting. Yeah that last one made me laugh. And that other measure the bum one lol great stuff