Thread: Help in Tumbler Area

Help in Tumbler Area

Hey all

Just getting packed and ready for our trip just North of Tumbler Ridge around the Bearhole Provincial Park. Just wondering of current backroad conditions there as I’ve noticed tons of rain lately in the area. Any good spots to camp around there?? Also would it be better to go through Dawson and down Hwy 52 or turn off at Cherwynd and take Hwy 29 through Tumbler to get in there. Will be towing a larger cargo trailer. Thanks for any help and advise.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help in Tumbler Area

You would be better to go through Chetwynd as it’s 100 km to Dawson from Chetwynd and will be the same distance from each town. I haven’t been up lately, but like you said with all the rain you will have to watch where you town that trailer.

She's a boggy muddy mess around the peace country. Can't go 2 days without rain it seems.

highway conditions will both be comparable, take which ever turn off to TR you hit first (not sure which direction you are arriving from)...there are a couple construction zones on the 29 side, unsure about the 52 side

I find a lot of road systems around Tumbler hold up better to rains than the rest of the region, more rock and not as much clay in the roads as say around Chetwynd to FSJ area....but chains/recovery gear is always smart to carry, and would be careful with the trailer if you are exploring a new road

would definitely be prepared to deal with simple flats and I carry 2 full size spares for truck and trailer....had to resort to BCAA a couple of times, be prepared to deal with cash payment only for "offroad recovery" or the local subcontractor isn't helping, regardless what BCAA says over the phone lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster