Thread: Hunting from a kayak?

Hunting from a kayak?

Wondering if anyone hunts ducks/geese from a kayak, I’m thinking about taking my sisters out this season, I’ve got a bunch of old army camo net I was planning on using to cover it up, but I was wondering if anyone else might have any tips or dos/donts. Anything is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting from a kayak?

Really good for accessing hard to get to places but not safe to shoot out of for the most part. Always wear a life jacket.

any kayak is good for accessing an area of marsh but it takes a wider, stable version to safely shoot out of on open water. if it's a narrow type, then we backed ours into the reeds/cattails till they were stable. now we use sit on tops & we can shoot most any direction safe from tipping even in open water away from shore. have to say though since we got ghillie suits, I prefer to park the kayak, cover it with camo burlap & a few handfuls of the local vegetation & hunt from shore just sitting in plain sight in the ghillie. ducks/geese come right over & shooting is much nicer from a regular sitting or standing position. tried all sorts of camo setups for the kayak including hinged blinds but found that camo burlap works about as well as anything & is inexpensive, quick to set up, compact when folded up & easy to remove when you don't want it on the boat. when we do want to remain in the kayak we have the burlap sheet cut in two & sit in the gap between the two pieces with the ghillie suit on. works a treat most days. even a cheap halloween type ghillie suit should do the trick, we don't use the bottoms as we wear camo waders but do use the hat covering. the ghillie has completely changed the way we hunt & upped the numbers of ducks/geese that will decoy in for us. get one a size up from usual & your pfd should fit under it nicely for your paddle to & from your hunting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    any kayak is good for accessing an area of marsh but it takes a wider, stable version to safely shoot out of on open water. if it's a narrow type, then we backed ours into the reeds/cattails till they were stable. now we use sit on tops & we can shoot most any direction safe from tipping even in open water away from shore. have to say though since we got ghillie suits, I prefer to park the kayak, cover it with camo burlap & a few handfuls of the local vegetation & hunt from shore just sitting in plain sight in the ghillie. ducks/geese come right over & shooting is much nicer from a regular sitting or standing position. tried all sorts of camo setups for the kayak including hinged blinds but found that camo burlap works about as well as anything & is inexpensive, quick to set up, compact when folded up & easy to remove when you don't want it on the boat. when we do want to remain in the kayak we have the burlap sheet cut in two & sit in the gap between the two pieces with the ghillie suit on. works a treat most days. even a cheap halloween type ghillie suit should do the trick, we don't use the bottoms as we wear camo waders but do use the hat covering. the ghillie has completely changed the way we hunt & upped the numbers of ducks/geese that will decoy in for us. get one a size up from usual & your pfd should fit under it nicely for your paddle to & from your hunting spot.
    Excellent info. This was already on my list but glad to hear it works.

What would be considered a wide kayak? I’ve shot from this one before and Made out ok but was kind of limited with how far in either direction I could swing to shoot, I’ve got some old military camp net that I cut a little bigger than the kayak itself that I plan on wrapping it in, I did a trial run yesterday and it covers the colour of the kayak nicely. I’m assuming some kind of an anchor system would be good Incase of an emergency...

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Really good for accessing hard to get to places but not safe to shoot out of for the most part. Always wear a life jacket.
    I Hunt, dive, spearfish, and flycast (standing) out of a kayak. Have for years (decades?) Very safe. Totally safe to shoot out of.