Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The story of Big Hank, the alpine mulie!

Re: The story of Big Hank, the alpine mulie!

So here we are, late summer 2019. So far the year has been good.
    I started spring bear hunting, just easing into it, getting better at identifying sex.
    The freezer was starting to look empty but it was more of an excuse to get out in the bush. No bears were harmed.

Then this summer I got married. I'm so grateful to have an adventurous and supportive wife who likes to be in the mountains as much as me.
    She's an amazing hunting partner and this year she got a new backpack.

But all along in the back of my mind, there's a rematch coming up, and my wife is fully on board.
    I worked most of the summer and didn't get many scouting trips in. So once Sept 1st approaches I'm thinking "screw it, I'm shutting down for a week!"
    And that's what we did.

We left Saturday night to start hiking into our spot on opening day. Here's an idea of the terrain we're in.

We set up camp around dinner time and head up for an evening glassing session.
    As we're setting up, a big rain shower is heading right for us so out comes the tarp.
    Boy was I glad I brought it.

We glassed and glassed. Finally at last light, my wife spots a lone doe way down the valley, in a far meadow.
    It's not much, but it's something. Actually seeing that one doe did lift our spirits before turning in for the evening.

Next morning we're up bright and early and head out for a breakfast glassing session.
    We glassed for a couple of hours during what IME should be peak deer activity.
    All I spotted was a doe with her fawn again way down the valley. We're not seeing the same amount of deer as last year, not even close.
    Maybe it's warmer and they're feeding less. Maybe they're not here for some reason. I start going down the list in my mind of other spots to look at.
    So we pick up and are about to head somewhere else but before we leave I tell my wife there's something I want to check out.

When we first spotted Big Hank last year, I noted where he was bedded. Above him is rock ridge that I remember thinking would probably put me within shooting distance.
    So I wanted to head over and peak down from the ridge and see if I was right. We head over and we step onto the ridge and look down at an aspect we couldn't glass during breakfast.
    Here's the view.

After appreciating the view with the naked eye for a few moments, I figure I should look for some deer.
    I raise the binos to my eyes and point at one of the lower meadows.
    As soon as the binos touch my face, I immediately see within the magnified view two deer feeding, and one has a HUGE velvety rack.
    My heart skips a beat. I scan both quickly, reddish coat, 3-point, the other greyish coat, huge girth, muscular...and his rack, holeee how can I forget that rack.
    I turn to my wife, pointing down and whispering with a clenched jaw "BIG HANK! He's ... right ... there!!!"

Aaaaaand? Can’t wait to hear how this one ends.

Awesome write up so far. Eagerly waiting for the rest of it.

Sitting at work reading this is making me want to call in sick. Great read so far
    Resident Hunter

Keep it up
    . This is what HBC "should be".... hunters sharing hunting stories and not getting attacked by other members.. pure love of hunting
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

This has me so hyped for tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Keep it up
    . This is what HBC "should be".... hunters sharing hunting stories and not getting attacked by other members.. pure love of hunting
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This is bang on!!
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Keep it up
    Dam right. Great write up so far
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Hope some numb nuts do gooder does not start in to point all of the things wrong out!!!!!
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Hope some numb nuts do gooder does not start in to point all of the things wrong out!!!!!
    Quit your side tracking.

Patiently waiting!