Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

Re: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

We hunt up around 4-25 and are heading out that way from the Island on 18 Oct for 8 days. Usually not hard to fill a whitetail tag. There is a 2 deer region limit and can take one WT buck, one WT doe, or one wt and one 4pt mule deer.

There is a GOS for spike fork moose, and black bear as well.

My buddy is bringing his 11 year old daughter onnthe hunt and hopes to get her first deer.

Send me a pm if you want and Id be happy to share some details of this area

Hmmm oct 17th ?
    vancouver island black bears..
    Mule deer Deadman creek etc..as been accurately reported..
    However..you have a moose tag ? Leh..? Mid oct ?
    Some moose juice, tampons to hold the scent..go call...the rut is still on..now the younger bulls step up as the old buggers are getting weary in well doing..lol....
    I still think moose hunting during the rut is the easiest hunt in BC ..imo
    Those would be my go to animals for meat.
    Cheers
    Steven

Rent a cabin up at loon lake. Some decent spots close and any direction within an hour. Bring some extra fuel and stop around any of the many logging blocks. Get out walk around. They are there. Its a fairly economical hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    We hunt up around 4-25 and are heading out that way from the Island on 18 Oct for 8 days. Usually not hard to fill a whitetail tag. There is a 2 deer region limit and can take one WT buck, one WT doe, or one wt and one 4pt mule deer.

There is a GOS for spike fork moose, and black bear as well.

My buddy is bringing his 11 year old daughter onnthe hunt and hopes to get her first deer.

Send me a pm if you want and Id be happy to share some details of this area
    Thanks for the offer Ron, I will send a PM after the little ones are asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm oct 17th ?
    vancouver island black bears..
    Mule deer Deadman creek etc..as been accurately reported..
    However..you have a moose tag ? Leh..? Mid oct ?
    Some moose juice, tampons to hold the scent..go call...the rut is still on..now the younger bulls step up as the old buggers are getting weary in well doing..lol....
    I still think moose hunting during the rut is the easiest hunt in BC ..imo
    Those would be my go to animals for meat.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Any good resources to learn to call moose? I've used elk101 and the elk nut app to learn how to call elk. Anything similar for moose? I might send you a PM as well since you seem to be such a nice fellow to a lot of guys on here.

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    Rent a cabin up at loon lake. Some decent spots close and any direction within an hour. Bring some extra fuel and stop around any of the many logging blocks. Get out walk around. They are there. Its a fairly economical hunt
    A couple years back I got invited to go with a friend from work. Because of the fires they weren't going to go to the usual secret spot around loon lake. After I had been invited they changed their mind and decided to go to the secret spot but I was already invited so I was allowed to come. They were renting cabins at the White moose resort haha.

My father-in-law was in the hospital at the time and I was on the fence about going thinking I should stay home to support my wife and family. The day before I was to leave he started to show some good signs of improvement so I felt better about going and my wife seemed to think it would be ok to go. The next day I packed up and headed out a bit late. Made it to Cache creek and got a text that things had taken a turn for the worse. Grabbed a burger at A&W and headed back home. He passed away a couple days later (on my wedding anniversary that my wife was ok I was missing to go hunting) I obviously don't regret turning around, some things are far more important than hunting but since he had been in failing health for awhile and we were prepared for it we have all had a good laugh at the timing.

I think I have a pretty funny bad luck story from each year I've been out so far. It's pretty funny to look back and remember what's happened and ask myself WTF am I still at it for hahaha. I must be a sucker for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    ^^^ Brian said it really well. It is a skill. Sometimes it is luck too. Keep at it.

That said, hunting is often not an economical way to provide food for your family and it is, in many ways, a selfish pursuit that we do because we love it. My wife asked me about my August moose hunt and I said it was a 98% successful hunt. That is our code for "it was an excellent adventure that made me very happy but no animals were killed in the process". I would avoid tying a kill and meat in the freezer to the justification for why you hunt. Hunting makes me a better person and a better provider even if it isn't visible on the table.
    Well said!

I'd suggest putting the bow aside until you put some meat in the freezer...

There are still WT doe GOS in a few wmu's - they would not open it if there wasn't a surplus.

4-1 to 4-9, 4-14 to 4-40 Antlerless Oct 10 - Oct 31

KBC- moose calling isn’t hard, stub your toe and have someone kick you in the groin at the same time. That sound you make? That’s a cow moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    KBC- moose calling isn’t hard, stub your toe and have someone kick you in the groin at the same time. That sound you make? That’s a cow moose.
    Hahaha gave me a good chuckle.

To add to this, if you go youtube everyone's call is quite different and they all seem to bring moose in.

From my minimal experience of 7 years but only a few trips between me and my small group of relatively new hunters I've seen the most animals been taking by pounding logging roads looking for moose.
    Not the most cost or time effective though, especially considering the drive up north. Not too enjoyable either... but it has given us some results

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    I'd suggest putting the bow aside until you put some meat in the freezer...

There are still WT doe GOS in a few wmu's - they would not open it if there wasn't a surplus.

4-1 to 4-9, 4-14 to 4-40 Antlerless Oct 10 - Oct 31
    I would suggest otherwise. The bow provides much more opportunity to harvest. It forces a hunter to pursue animals differently and it produces results. To the OP, if you are interested in adjusting your technique to bow, let me know.
    There is no 'surplus' of WT in R4. And, they would be removing the doe harvest if there was no threat of CWD. Another reactive decision from Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    OMG that's funny