Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

So quick backstory, I've been hunting 5 years now, mostly by myself and have yet to shoot anything bigger than grouse. I love getting out there but with 2 kids at home it is getting harder and harder to keep getting out there and not have anything to show for it when I get home. The time effort and money is starting to ad up. So far this year I was away for 9 days during the archery season looking for elk. I've had a couple close calls with elk going back to last October and I think my calling is getting pretty decent. Elk are what I would prefer to hunt but at this point I need some meat.

I have the 15-21 of October off to go hunting but I might not be able to get out there until the 17th depending on my wife's work schedule. I have a tag for deer, elk, moose and bear. So here is my question;

If you needed meat in a bad way, what species would you target, how would you hunt them(stand, spot and stalk etc.) and what general area? I'm getting somewhat familiar with a place near Rock Creek so I will likely head there at this point unless I can find somewhere better and less busy.

Thanks for reading this far!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

Mule deer. You might be hard pressed to find a bear at that time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Mule deer. You might be hard pressed to find a bear at that time of year
    on the flip side the zone i hunt in region 8 I see more bears active in and through October than any other time of year. But he’s right I’d be putting down any white tail or any mule buck on the mainland in that time.

MD or WT and with an "antlerless" tag, imo.
    (that might draw criticism from some, but I don't give a s***, as the question was as the OP, what would be the easiest to "harvest" MEAT)!!

If you have never applied for one, you should.
    Plenty of us old guys here willing to give you help in that case.
    But any buck season in October in some Regions and MU's aren't that hard, if you get out, walk real slow, and hunt in the timber.

I don’t have a problem shooting a WT doe. That’s why I booked that week, any buck in a lot of places, WT does, elk is open until the 20th, bear I wonder if there’s a unit with moose added on to all that.

I used to hunt rock creek years ago. A muly and a whity buck were pretty common back then if you werent picky on rack size? Are you seeing lots of deer where you hunt?

Where are you located and how far would you want to travel? What style of camp do you prefer? Lots of opportunities at that time. Any buck seasons, antlerless seasons etc

I’m in Mission. Don’t mind traveling and I usually sleep in my truck. I have an atv as well if that helps.

Van isle, 2 bear tags, nuff said.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

drive up to cache creek and hunt areas like scottie creek, deadmans valley, loon lake, jesmond area etc...
    mule bucks.
    whitetail does are pretty small. lol