Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

Re: Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

Too bad your so far away or I’d give you a couple of grocery bags of elk meat.

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    drive up to cache creek and hunt areas like scottie creek, deadmans valley, loon lake, jesmond area etc...
    mule bucks.
    whitetail does are pretty small. lol
    I think if you head out that way for your time off you'd be hard pressed not to at least have a few opportunities at some young bucks.

KBC I feel for you, I was in that same boat as you for a long time . Years of nothing to show for my efforts and a young family at home competing for my time and attention. I was chasing blacktails in thick brush and coming home put through the ringer. Obsession and frustration were my bed fellows. I can tell you this, hunting is a skill. The time you are putting in will pay off if you keep hunting, learning, and getting out in the bush. You just have to remind yourself why you are out there. Going solo is a tough way to learn. But soon enough you will be standing over your first kill with a sense of wonder and disbelief. My only advice is to keep at it, don't area hop if there is good sign in the places where you hunt. Use off days to explore new territory but on days to hunt places you know well. Try new things and get to know your hunting territories like they are your own backyard. It'll come together.

^^^ Brian said it really well. It is a skill. Sometimes it is luck too. Keep at it.

That said, hunting is often not an economical way to provide food for your family and it is, in many ways, a selfish pursuit that we do because we love it. My wife asked me about my August moose hunt and I said it was a 98% successful hunt. That is our code for "it was an excellent adventure that made me very happy but no animals were killed in the process". I would avoid tying a kill and meat in the freezer to the justification for why you hunt. Hunting makes me a better person and a better provider even if it isn't visible on the table.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    drive up to cache creek and hunt areas like scottie creek, deadmans valley, loon lake, jesmond area etc...
    mule bucks.
    whitetail does are pretty small. lol
    Take this advice^^^^
    Drive just at first light for MD to get an idea where they might be.
    Chances are you will eventually come into some.
    If you find pockets of them, then start hunting the area to look for what you want.
    In October, they could be spread out all over the place still compared to late November.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    KBC I feel for you, I was in that same boat as you for a long time . Years of nothing to show for my efforts and a young family at home competing for my time and attention. I was chasing blacktails in thick brush and coming home put through the ringer. Obsession and frustration were my bed fellows. I can tell you this, hunting is a skill. The time you are putting in will pay off if you keep hunting, learning, and getting out in the bush. You just have to remind yourself why you are out there. Going solo is a tough way to learn. But soon enough you will be standing over your first kill with a sense of wonder and disbelief. My only advice is to keep at it, don't area hop if there is good sign in the places where you hunt. Use off days to explore new territory but on days to hunt places you know well. Try new things and get to know your hunting territories like they are your own backyard. It'll come together.
    Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    ^^^ Brian said it really well. It is a skill. Sometimes it is luck too. Keep at it.

That said, hunting is often not an economical way to provide food for your family and it is, in many ways, a selfish pursuit that we do because we love it. My wife asked me about my August moose hunt and I said it was a 98% successful hunt. That is our code for "it was an excellent adventure that made me very happy but no animals were killed in the process". I would avoid tying a kill and meat in the freezer to the justification for why you hunt. Hunting makes me a better person and a better provider even if it isn't visible on the table.
    I totally agree and to be honest I think I am getting close to my first elk with all the studying, time I’ve put into learning to call and getting boots on the ground looking for them.

Hunting has has made me a better man (and a lighter one by around 60 lbs or so) and I do find it extremely valuable as an activity. I don’t necessarily believe the amount of meat I bring home is directly proportional to how successful I have or haven’t been. The issue is it would be a lot easier on my family if they knew I was at least providing a little more meat as a result of this activity I enjoy so much. I also really want to get something before I start taking my son out so I have some clue about what I’m doing start to finish.

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far, I really appreciate some of the people on here that go out of their way to help.

Not to derail the thread here but how old is your son? If he’s walking it’s not early to get him out in the woods, do some short walks on some roads, show him the plants, trees etc. Bring a .22 to shoot a grouse with and show him the feathers etc. Kids love the woods and you get the bonus of spending time with your kid. Wives love it when their men take the kid out.

Not a derail at all. He turns 8 next month. He already has his own single shot .22 and I had him out grouse hunting last fall. I've shot more grouse with him than without. I should have specified though, he is bugging me to take him elk, bear and deer hunting. My daughter is only a year and half but with her personality I think she might be getting out there a bit younger than he was.

KBC, my youngest just went off to college and I am hunting without one of my kids for the first time in a very long time this season. Start them young and enjoy every minute of it!

Plus, the wife will appreciate the reduced parenting load while you are gone. Not sure why, but one kid is 75% easier to manage than two.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Trying for an elk as your first big game animal is a rough way to start. Good on you for keeping positive and continuing to try but I would take the advice given already and look for deer. Lots of spikes and two points around. I started taking my son when he was 5 months old, never too young. He hasn't missed a year yet with me.