Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frame pack advise

frame pack advise

Hello huntingbc community,

Looking for advice about a framed pack to carry a game quarters out of the bush.

Thank you.

P.S. Search this thread did not provide much information.
    People lie the most of all before elections, at the war and after hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: frame pack advise

I use a Cabelas alaskan frame. Worked very well for me and is quite cost effective. Packed out elk, goat, deer and bear on it.

I through a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it and it is a great combination. That said, there are better packs out there, but cost is much higher
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Depending on how much you plan on using it, the Kifaru frame with the cargo panel is the cats meow. A bit pricy, but if a guy plans on a lot of use, then it’s usually justifiable.

Are you looking for a frame to put game on? Or a pack with external frame to put game between the bag and frame?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Check out stone glacier

I'm looking for For a frame back pack where I can put a game on a frame and occasionally using it as regular back pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Are you looking for a frame to put game on? Or a pack with external frame to put game between the bag and frame?
    People lie the most of all before elections, at the war and after hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I'm looking for For a frame back pack where I can put a game on a frame and occasionally using it as regular back pack.
    Well what are you going to do more of? Packing quarters or using as a backpack? If the backpack side outweighs the quarter carrying, then a Stone Glacier or Kifaru is the cats ass.
    If you anticipate using it for carrying quarters more, then the answer is still the same...

However, that assumes your budget is around $1000.

If you are set on a frame and bag, then a Barney Freighter is the answer. But requires the same budget.

If you don’ t have a $1k budget then you are looking at the Cabela’s or Tatonka frame.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have a Cabelas alaskan guide pack frame. Comfy harness, and pretty sturdy frame! Handles 60-80#'s pretty well. 120 bucks or so at Cabelas.ca. The Alpz frame works, but is a tad flimsy, but it packs meat out too. Or, you could spent the big bucks, and buy a system, like SG, or MR. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

If you’re planning on using it for any amount of distance or time I’d suggest stone glacier or mystery ranch. I have a mystery ranch Marshall that I’ve packed well over 80 pounds around 20km in one day or around 65-70 for multiple days up to 25 km per day no problem. The mystery ranch seems to be a couple pounds heavier than the competitors, but they’re a bomb-proof bag.

My partner runs one of the stone glacier packs. I like the side pocket on his for the spotting scope and it’s a bit lighter. Also more expensive.

The good packs really start to shine when you put a good load on them. If your plan is to pack a few elk quarters for a few kms out of the bush then go with one of the cabelas frames, but if you’re planning on backpack hunting, buy once cry once.

Rampart usually has mystery ranch ranch on sale in the spring.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I suggest something like a tatonka lasternaxe or similar. Get something welded... not those ones with cotter pins every where.

That being said, comfort in the straps and harness are key on whatever you get.