Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muskwa/Tuchodi

Hybrid View

Muskwa/Tuchodi

Hi All.

The last time I went to the Muskwa/Tuchodi was 2009. Hunting was good but I did notice a large reduction in sheep from the late 90’s.

The kids are old enough to hunt now and I am getting older and fatter.

I would like to dust the cobwebs from the jetboat and take them on a hunt.

Is it worth going up there anymore?
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 09-13-2019 at 10:02 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Muskwa/Tuchodi

Absolutely it is,beautiful productive country.
    There are a large number of boats there these days,but if you're prepared to walk away from the river a day or so,you should be fine.
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

I'd go in a heart beat. Its still one of my bc hunting to dos. Go and have a blast

Thanks for the feedback.

There has always been tons of riverboats.

I hunted that area from 1996-2009 every year. I did observe a decline in the sheep population and increasing wolf and grizzly activity. In fact, by 2009 the outfitter quit maintaining the horse trail into his ram honeyhole.

I hear there are very few elk these days.

It was not uncommon to sit on a riverbank during cool weather and see hundreds of elk and see herds of 20 or more crossing back and forth and pounding giant trails into the ground.

What time period did you hunt up there?

Used to hunt in there in the 70ies. No other hunters just the guide (Peck) going thru once in a while. Lots of sheep, moose, goats, caribou and the odd deer. Lots of elk a little east. The odd grizzly was around. Beautiful country. We used to fly in with Steve V. C185. We went in August as well as in September for at least 10 days.

Went in on a sheep hunt for the first time last year, about as far up as you can go on the Muskwa. First morning we saw 5 Wolves chase a cow elk across the river from camp. Seems everywhere we stopped on the way up on the river the bank was littered with wolf sign. In the week we were there we saw two cows and one bull elk, no moose and a decent amount of ewes and lambs but nothing like what we were told to expect. Tried calling moose halfway down the river and were surrounded by Wolves in no time but they wouldn't show. Grizzly sign was out of control as well, big, small and everything in between.

I would hate to work on a downed animal with all the grizzly sign you talk about

Thanks for your feedback. Thats what I was also told by other people. It s a sad, sad situation.

I suppose a spring trip by boat to call wolves, smash back some Captain Morgan, and smoke copious amounts of legally sold indian reserve weed is in order.

It will still be fun and much less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. Thats what I was also told by other people. It s a sad, sad situation.

I suppose a spring trip by boat to call wolves, smash back some Captain Morgan, and smoke copious amounts of legally sold indian reserve weed is in order.

It will still be fun and much less effort.
    Hahahahaha that sounds like a great time! Just had some friends head up there for cow elk draw, they also haven’t been up there for over 10 years so I’m excited to hear how the hunt goes, today is there day 1 headed up from kledo

Just returned from a week on the upper Muskwa, stayed at Poplar Camp upriver from Crehan Creek with outfitter. There were five hunting camps in a two mile stretch upriver from us, unrelated to us. One instance of hunters calling one another instead of Elk that we know of.

We saw Elk, goats. Didn't see or hear any moose except for a cow moose on the river. Wolves and coyotes in the area and a few bears around, both black and grizzly. I was successful on a good bull Elk.

Spectacular scenery, good hunting, access in and out can be difficult depending on river conditions. For me crowding was the biggest concern.